The EMERGENCY Thread!!!

Pics
I decided to isolate her since she was still dripping and wet. Put her in cage with heat lamp, food, water, and a handful of mealworms. Just went to check on her and found she had laid an egg. It was soft shelled and she was pecking at in when I went in.

@dreamyj
 , can you post some pictures of her now so that people can see how much smaller her belly is?

-Kathy

NEW EMERGENCY!

I have a young pullet, Polish cross, probably about eight months old, who prolapsed sometime in the night while laying her first egg. The first egg was hard shelled and a good size, but coming out big end first. It was hanging out of her, encased in tissue. It's cold here and the tissue was frozen to the egg. We brought her in the house, lubed it up with coconut oil and worked it out. She continued to push and we realized she had a second, soft shelled egg coming out right behind the first. Both eggs were intact, with no leakage. We soaked her for several minutes in Epsom salts. This afternoon I bought and applied Preparation H as the tissue doesn't want to stay inside her. She is acting completely normal, eating and drinking and feisty. She managed to pass feces this afternoon.
How often can I soak her in Epsom salts? Should I be doing anything other than the Prep H application? I have Oxy Tetracycline; should I put her on it? I have reduced her light cycle to stop her laying again and have her in the house in a cat carrier, on a soft blanket. Try as I might the tissue doesn't want to go back in at the moment. It was badly stretched by the first egg coming out the wrong way (it was more sideways than anything).
Thanks for any and all help.

NEW EMERGENCY!

I have a young pullet, Polish cross, probably about eight months old, who prolapsed sometime in the night while laying her first egg. The first egg was hard shelled and a good size, but coming out big end first. It was hanging out of her, encased in tissue. It's cold here and the tissue was frozen to the egg. We brought her in the house, lubed it up with coconut oil and worked it out. She continued to push and we realized she had a second, soft shelled egg coming out right behind the first. Both eggs were intact, with no leakage. We soaked her for several minutes in Epsom salts. This afternoon I bought and applied Preparation H as the tissue doesn't want to stay inside her. She is acting completely normal, eating and drinking and feisty. She managed to pass feces this afternoon.
How often can I soak her in Epsom salts? Should I be doing anything other than the Prep H application? I have Oxy Tetracycline; should I put her on it? I have reduced her light cycle to stop her laying again and have her in the house in a cat carrier, on a soft blanket. Try as I might the tissue doesn't want to go back in at the moment. It was badly stretched by the first egg coming out the wrong way (it was more sideways than anything).
Thanks for any and all help.

Good job on getting that egg out.

Continue to do what you are doing. Offer her some calcium - you can give her a crushed TUMS or liquid calcium (1cc or follow directions on bottle). If you have poultry vitamins add some to her water. Make sure she is drinking plenty of water, you don't want her to get dehydrated.

Let us know how she is doing.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html

While I think this thread is a good idea, I am finding it very hard to keep up with all of the people posting about their sick chickens. So for those reading this, I strongly suggest that when you post here that you also start a new thread here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/threads/add/forumId/10

In that thread please answer all of these questions shown in this post. The more info we have, the better our replies will be. Post below is from here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/3569/have-an-emergency-disease-please-read-first

-Kathy

I quite agree here with @casportpony

This thread is for people that need immediate help. If you want advice or think your issue isn't major I strongly agree that you make your own thread!

Also I'm seeing a lot of posts that aren't being quoted! You MUST QOUTE the person you are replying to because this is a busy thread! This makes it a lot easier to understand what is going on!

Regards,

AustralorpsAU

Back
Top Bottom