The EMERGENCY Thread!!!

Pics
all very good advice from Kathy. I just wanted to add I had a rooster do the same exact thing that yours is doing and we treated with Tylan 50 for 5 days at .2 CC per pound of body weight. It cleared him up and he has not been contagious to anyone else although we did not see a vet with him. Many of the respiratory infections are contagious but there are also many reasons why only one bird becomes affected.

Thanks for the info. I am researching the suggestions now!

Any merit to using the Diatamacious Earth? Will it help with internal worms?

Don't waste you money on DE... It will not treat worms.

You could try Tylan, then if that doesn't work, you could try oxytetracyline. If neither of those work, then you could try something else like Baytri, Cephalexin, or amoxicillin

-Kathy

New Emergency

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Around 8 month old LF cochin cockerel. He is thinner then the rest

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Nothing he eats and drinks as much as the rest

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Two weeks

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Not that I can think of

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
He is getting layer feed, oats, and a little bit if cracked corn

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal. One of them did have a slight green spot in it though

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
I've been having him eat separated from the pullet in his breeding box

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I'm sure whatever I have to do is simple enough to do myself

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
I only have a picture of him but I'll post that also

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Hay, no chemicals. Comes from our ranch so I know where its been and came from

Also I have cockerel who is injured. He walks on his hock. Here's the link to the thread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1146552/injured-cockerel#post_17885289

Last edited:
New Emergency

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Around 8 month old LF cochin cockerel. He is thinner then the rest

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Nothing he eats and drinks as much as the rest

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Two weeks
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
He is getting layer feed, oats, and a little bit if cracked corn

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal. One of them did have a slight green spot in it though

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
I've been having him eat separated from the pullet in his breeding box

Also I have cockerel who is injured. He walks on his hock. Here's the link to the thread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1146552/injured-cockerel#post_17885289
Since you have two cockerels that are doing poorly. Then I would do as suggested by @azygous in your other thread. Offering poultry vitamins to both. The Nutri-Drench she recommended is very good. You may want to also offer chick starter or an all flock/flock raiser feed to give them extra protein. You can also give egg or tuna.

A few questions:
Have you had any respiratory illness in your flock? (coughing, sneezing, runny eye/nose, etc.)
Have you added any new birds to your flock in the last 30days?

The cockerel in the other thread is walking on his hocks - any swelling or bruising at the hock joint? Have you checked the cochin over for any signs of swelling of the joints as well?

If you can weigh your Cochin so you can get a base line weight, this will help you determine how much weight he is losing.

Since you have two cockerels that are doing poorly.  Then I would do as suggested by @azygous
in your other thread.  Offering poultry vitamins to both.  The Nutri-Drench she recommended is very good.  You may want to also offer chick starter or an all flock/flock raiser feed to give them extra protein.  You can also give egg or tuna. 

A few questions:
Have you had any respiratory illness in your flock?  (coughing, sneezing, runny eye/nose, etc.)
Have you added any new birds to your flock in the last 30days?

The cockerel in the other thread is walking on his hocks - any swelling or bruising at the hock joint?  Have you checked the cochin over for any signs of swelling of the joints as well?

If you can weigh your Cochin so you can get a base line weight, this will help you determine how much weight he is losing.

No respiratory, no new birds.

I didn't have time to check the cockerel over but I didn't see any bruising I will check again today.
As for the cochin I don't think there's any swelling or bruising.
I will try to weigh the cochin today.

I don't know when we will be in town next I'll see if I still have some leftover chick starter.

Don't waste you money on DE... It will not treat worms.

You could try Tylan, then if that doesn't work, you could try oxytetracyline. If neither of those work, then you could try something else like Baytri, Cephalexin, or amoxicillin

-Kathy
good to know.

After all my research, I'm starting to wonder what my Grandmother did to keep her flock healthy back in the 80s and earlier....I know she never took them to a vet or bought medications for them. Have poultry diseases become more of an issue as time passes?

Hi All,
I don't know if this Emergency page is only for chicken but I need help with my peahen.
She injured herself, not sure how, but I think she has done something to her upper left leg. She has some eyetrouble from years back and I think she flew from the roost and was unable to see where she landed. We took her in the house and she is in a huge cage. I treated her eye and hand fed her in addition to normal feed and water but I think she is starving. She does not take even lettuce from me anymore and I do not see an amount of poop I would expect to see. I also now can feel her middle bone. She is 12 years old but that is not really old at all and I would like her to pull through. Any ideas what I could do? Are there pain killers for birds, could I have a vet give her an IV? I really do not know what to do and as far as I know none of our vets are really bird people so i rather ask this group for help. Anything you can come up is greatly appreciated. Thanks..

Back
Top Bottom