The Emu's dynamic mating structure. Well at least the way mine are.

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by foulman007, Jan 8, 2012.

1. foulman007

foulman007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2010
    Columbia SC
    As you all know I haven't gotten any eggs yet this year. I have a pair of males and one female . Last season we laid around 35 eggs from January 1st till mid May. I kept 4 in the flock . Neptune ,my male, has been very protective of them . If I approach him he gives me the I love you dance. When I get near his brood it aint love anymore! His interest in Saturn my female has been very little.
    Today Jupiter my younger male was courting Saturn , which lead to a mating. Just wondering if anyone has noticed any sort of interaction like this? Does anyone keep babies and "teens" with their flock? For "stupid birds" it seems to be a more advanced mating structure than I have noted with any of my other birds. I wouldnt expect the dominate male to abandon his position in the flock to raise his babies. Might be more to them than I have had thought.

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I wish I had input..... But with all my animals I don't trust the babies not to get stepped on.... So I keep them until they are a few months old.

3. foulman007

Dec 29, 2010
    Columbia SC
    nno not baby emus these are all from last years hatch. they seem to have a strong bond with their father emu.

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Sorry.....I was talking about last years, I didn't let them hatch any, I put them in the bator so they didn't know Pumba is theirs. I didn't let them keep the chicks this year either.... So I don't know how they would act with their babies......... Perhaps next year I can let them keep th

5. foulman007

Dec 29, 2010
    Columbia SC
    I hatched them all out also and didnt introduce them innto the flock untill they were about 4 months old.
    oh and still no eggs ????

6. dnkfarm

dnkfarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    Iva, SC
    Still no eggs here either[​IMG] upstate SC

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Mine act like they don't know each other. Maybe this years hatch he may have more attachment too since he sat them ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by