The Emu's dynamic mating structure. Well at least the way mine are.

foulman007

Songster
9 Years
Dec 29, 2010
Columbia SC
As you all know I haven't gotten any eggs yet this year. I have a pair of males and one female . Last season we laid around 35 eggs from January 1st till mid May. I kept 4 in the flock . Neptune ,my male, has been very protective of them . If I approach him he gives me the I love you dance. When I get near his brood it aint love anymore! His interest in Saturn my female has been very little.
Today Jupiter my younger male was courting Saturn , which lead to a mating. Just wondering if anyone has noticed any sort of interaction like this? Does anyone keep babies and "teens" with their flock? For "stupid birds" it seems to be a more advanced mating structure than I have noted with any of my other birds. I wouldnt expect the dominate male to abandon his position in the flock to raise his babies. Might be more to them than I have had thought.

Sorry.....I was talking about last years, I didn't let them hatch any, I put them in the bator so they didn't know Pumba is theirs. I didn't let them keep the chicks this year either.... So I don't know how they would act with their babies......... Perhaps next year I can let them keep th

I hatched them all out also and didnt introduce them innto the flock untill they were about 4 months old.
oh and still no eggs ????

I hatched them all out also and didnt introduce them innto the flock untill they were about 4 months old.
oh and still no eggs ????

Still no eggs here either
hu.gif
upstate SC

Back
Top Bottom