The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Changes? To this forum?

Well it's 17 degrees here. It was 19 last night and 23 today. So I"m thinking "poor little fluffy butts!". Well their coop was 40 degrees! No one had frozen water! So I let them out for a few hours. In the 2 hours they were out, with the coop door open there was ice forming already on their water! Closed up coop with the heater works real well.

My horse has been up to her ankles in mud for weeks now. So my plan is to make her a dry area attached to her stall. Limestone (looks like sand but coarse and white) seems to be good on firming up the muddy areas . So a few days ago I got 3 truck loads of lime and some sand. It's a lot. I guess too much for me. So I've contacted someone with a mini tractor to move it and spread it. So while she's living in a smaller paddock, hopefully the grass will grow back in the big paddock. I am ready to throw in the towel with this horse care. For 15 years in Florida she was on sand. The manure magically disappeared. Her feet and body were always clean. She never needed a coat. That's probably what I miss the most about moving. She lived at a barn that was the best I could ever want.

I ended up wanting a pair of Goldian Finches, so they actually came in the mail! The box even had a little perch in it, LOL. So they are doing well. They are not a type of bird that gets held and don't even sing a good song. But these ones are real tame when I need to put food in.

No snow yet. Anyone have snow ? (aside from 1muttsfan?)

Here is ours at 6:30 a.m. My husband woke me up giggling at something he was watching on computer, geez, pitfall of having my bed in the small room near his computer desk in the livingroom.
1579519786220.png

seminole, Yes, a neighbor with a tractor is VERY helpful with things like that. Our neighbor is the one that put in the sand, and fill dirt when I built my coop. It doesn't take very long with a tractor, but would have taken us hours labor intense work, had we done it with shovels. With that kind of cold, your horse may need to wear a blanket too, until it warms up a bit.
Especially if it gets windy.

Changes? To this forum?

Well it's 17 degrees here. It was 19 last night and 23 today. So I"m thinking "poor little fluffy butts!". Well their coop was 40 degrees! No one had frozen water! So I let them out for a few hours. In the 2 hours they were out, with the coop door open there was ice forming already on their water! Closed up coop with the heater works real well.

My horse has been up to her ankles in mud for weeks now. So my plan is to make her a dry area attached to her stall. Limestone (looks like sand but coarse and white) seems to be good on firming up the muddy areas . So a few days ago I got 3 truck loads of lime and some sand. It's a lot. I guess too much for me. So I've contacted someone with a mini tractor to move it and spread it. So while she's living in a smaller paddock, hopefully the grass will grow back in the big paddock. I am ready to throw in the towel with this horse care. For 15 years in Florida she was on sand. The manure magically disappeared. Her feet and body were always clean. She never needed a coat. That's probably what I miss the most about moving. She lived at a barn that was the best I could ever want.

I ended up wanting a pair of Goldian Finches, so they actually came in the mail! The box even had a little perch in it, LOL. So they are doing well. They are not a type of bird that gets held and don't even sing a good song. But these ones are real tame when I need to put food in.

No snow yet. Anyone have snow ? (aside from 1muttsfan?)
Where do you get cage birds in the mail from?

We have about a foot or more of snow here in Wisconsin. It's been a pretty mild winter here. Gonna warm back into the 30's this week.

You look great!

You might want to look in to having drain tile put in your pasture, if there is no other good way to establish drainage. We have nasty mud up here, and I have a large area that we filled with gravel (what's called Pit Run, rough and variable stone size), as a winter/mud area. That way they do not ruin the pasture when it is wet, and are not standing knee deep in muddy water for 4 months out of the year.

As long as your horse is healthy, she should not need a blanket. Blankets interfere with the growth of a normal winter coat, and are unnecessary for most horses. They also come with a certain risk of entanglement, which can be very dangerous for horses. Horses kept inside are more prone to respiratory illness - if you recall, my pony had to be put down last fall due to the effects of allergic respiratory disease. Horses are very well suited to cold climates, and need little other than shelter from the wind, unfrozen water, and plenty of good food. Hmm, sounds just like chickens!

Where do you get cage birds in the mail from?

We have about a foot or more of snow here in Wisconsin. It's been a pretty mild winter here. Gonna warm back into the 30's this week.

Well the guy ships from Florida with heat pass etc. One day shipping. Birds are fine. I was a bit reluctant. He's the Gouldian guy.

Here is ours at 6:30 a.m. My husband woke me up giggling at something he was watching on computer, geez, pitfall of having my bed in the small room near his computer desk in the livingroom.
View attachment 2006954
Aha! SAME PROBLEM as I. ! The chickens knocked over the heater last night and it turned itself off. So all the water buckets were frozen solid! So yea I had to drag water out from the house. The heater is behind a pen door now. Not in the center of the coop but at least it's heat!

You look great!

You might want to look in to having drain tile put in your pasture, if there is no other good way to establish drainage. We have nasty mud up here, and I have a large area that we filled with gravel (what's called Pit Run, rough and variable stone size), as a winter/mud area. That way they do not ruin the pasture when it is wet, and are not standing knee deep in muddy water for 4 months out of the year.

As long as your horse is healthy, she should not need a blanket. Blankets interfere with the growth of a normal winter coat, and are unnecessary for most horses. They also come with a certain risk of entanglement, which can be very dangerous for horses. Horses kept inside are more prone to respiratory illness - if you recall, my pony had to be put down last fall due to the effects of allergic respiratory disease. Horses are very well suited to cold climates, and need little other than shelter from the wind, unfrozen water, and plenty of good food. Hmm, sounds just like chickens!

I know but if it's below 30 she actually shivers. Probably after 15 years in florida........ we don't lock her in a stall. Also inside her stall I have a huge bucket bucket with a heater.

Back
Top Bottom