The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Sorry to hear about your loss, Cyn, but it is good to know that it does not seem as if he suffered at all.

Thank you, I hope he didn't. He didn't seem to, but you know chickens-they just refuse to show weakness until they can't help it any longer. I know that if it indeed was internal injuries that I suspect from his fight with his brother, there really is nothing I could have done nor could anyone have fixed it. I just hate to lose a good flock rooster in his prime. Now, Atlas will have to take over the reins of that flock and handle eleven hens rather than his three.

Aww I just saw this. So sorry.
hugs.gif

LL

Awww...he was so precious. I just read the story about him "protecting" his momma from Isaac. :) Thank you for sharing the link Ladyhawk, that was such a sweet way to honor him on the day of his passing. And thank you Cyn for sharing Rex and all of your special roosters with us.

Awww...he was so precious. I just read the story about him "protecting" his momma from Isaac. :) Thank you for sharing the link Ladyhawk, that was such a sweet way to honor him on the day of his passing. And thank you Cyn for sharing Rex and all of your special roosters with us.
Why do I fall in love with the roosters over the hens? I see threads about bad roosters, someone recently asking if anyone ever had a rooster they liked, etc. Gosh, it's all I can do to let the young ones go to new homes. I love them all. They just get into your heart.

I am so sorry to hear about Rex.

Andrew

Thank you, Andrew. The morning chorus is strangely hollow, definitely missing a strong voice.

Today, as long as the fog clears off and the skies clear a bit, I will let Rex's group out and Atlas out at the same time to free range. Then, we'll see how that goes and hopefully, I will be putting him, Rowena and Dottie into the big coop together tonight. Rachel will stay and hatch her chicks, then they will immediately move into the broody pen on the other side of the wall in the Orp side and I'll get Atlas's former coop ready for Deacon and Sammie Jo. At least, those two are used to each other. I've been cultivating that relationship for awhile now and Sammie is very close to laying. She is 22 weeks old today and such a beauty.

barnie.gif
It's drizzling. I let everyone out, did the coop chores, then the drizzle started and I had to get everyone back inside. I want to get started on integrating Atlas's group in with Rex's hens before Rachel's chicks hatch-they are on Day 15 now.

Last edited:
I am so sorry about Rex. I know you loved him. This weather is giving me fits too. I want to let mine out some but don't dare unless I can be out at the same time. Lately a red tailed hawk has been screeching about. Thankfully when the crows come the hawk departs. I lost my del roo and it about broke my heart too. I was really counting on him this spring for chicks. Now, well, I still have chick fever but as always my pocket book can not keep up with my desires. I want a jubillee orp hen. I think the deep red color and specks are so pretty. I'd love a roo also. I've even considered getting some chicks from a hatchery. Maybe some speckled sussex. Sigh!

I am so sorry about Rex. I know you loved him. This weather is giving me fits too. I want to let mine out some but don't dare unless I can be out at the same time. Lately a red tailed hawk has been screeching about. Thankfully when the crows come the hawk departs. I lost my del roo and it about broke my heart too. I was really counting on him this spring for chicks. Now, well, I still have chick fever but as always my pocket book can not keep up with my desires. I want a jubillee orp hen. I think the deep red color and specks are so pretty. I'd love a roo also. I've even considered getting some chicks from a hatchery. Maybe some speckled sussex. Sigh!
Sorry to hear about your Delaware rooster-what happened to him, Gloria Jean? If you get any hatchery Speckled Sussex, skip the ones from Ideal. All of mine had serious issues and none survived chickhood. They just are terrible on that breed.

Back
Top Bottom