The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

I love when you video the d’Anvers, they’re such cute little things and Spike and Aubrey’s little squeaky crows make me laugh. I’m jealous of your beautiful weather! I had to drive in Salt Lake valley in a snowstorm today. I don’t know if you remember driving here, but I-15 is terrible in good weather and a disaster in snow. I have to go back up into SLC tomorrow morning so I’m really hoping we don’t get more snow tonight.

I remember I-15, yup, I do. I lived in Layton the first time we lived there, and Ogden as well. Then, the second time twelve years later, we lived in Roy (bought a house then).

I miss Xander's deep little crow. He was a pleasure to hear, not ear-splitting like the D'Anvers.

I just spent awhile chasing down two dogs that I found inside my perimeter fence. Hector and his girls were outside (in the barn pen, not free ranging). I was at my computer with the doors and window open and heard the oddest sound from Hector. It made me sit up and take notice, though he's a "cry wolf" kind of rooster, alarms at all sorts of idiocy. But, it was so weird, I ran out onto the deck and saw two dogs I've never seen before (imagine that) inside my perimeter and running beside the barn pen. Hector was standing tall and tracking them. I grabbed my son's wooden t-ball bat that hangs just outside the kitchen door and tore off after them.

They were freaked out, ran down to the bottom corner next to the power line easement road and somehow, the black one got out. His pal didn't see where he got out, however and was spinning in circles in the corner trying to escape my wrath. He finally ran back up the hill along the fence and I thought he'd go out the gate, which Tom left open when he went on errands this morning, but he didn't seem to remember it, or maybe that's not how he got in, not sure. So, I ran him back and forth and lost sight of him behind the leylands that back my picket fence that used to be our dog pen connected to our house. I walked and walked and never saw him again, so I guess he/she got out some way. I went immediately to the game camera that faces the back pasture and found that they had been running outside the fence before they ever got into it, but got 'em on camera.

I'm so glad that Hector was not free ranging when they got in, but now, I'll have to do another perimeter sweep to see if something had torn the fence somewhere. Last time two dogs got in, I did that and fixed the dip under the bottom corner and checked the rest of the fencing all the way around, so maybe something new happened.

The culprits (and I also caught on the driveway cam a strange truck coming here on two different days. We had no deliveries). The first picture was on the 11th, so they've been around here previously but I had not seen them.

DSCF0080.JPG
DSCF0104.JPG
DSCF0105.JPG
DSCF0106.JPG

Last edited:
The d'Anvers sound like wind-up squeaky toys - tough little munchkins though

We are having a little ice storm today, temps hovering around 31 and about 1/4" ice. Told everyone at work to stay home. It is crazy what people will leave their house for in bad weather.
High 30's for the end of the week into next week here. :ya

Those are nice temperatures. I'm just happy we may go above freezing. I shouldn't get too excited as sometimes it's a disappointment.

Your chickens look good running back and forth, and digging in the dirt. Mine will hopefully see some dirt soon.

Those are nice temperatures. I'm just happy we may go above freezing. I shouldn't get too excited as sometimes it's a disappointment.

Your chickens look good running back and forth, and digging in the dirt. Mine will hopefully see some dirt soon.

Did you see Bash get up close and look at me, like, "Mom, who are you talking to?". I'd be devastated if some dog got hold of that angel.

He is a really smart boy isn't he? I enjoy his crazy kick dancing for the hen, and that tail is magnificent.

I cannot imagine finding my birds killed by dogs. I like dogs, but they shouldn't be roaming free. You are gonna need to keep an eye out for them, which is a pain in the butt.

He is a really smart boy isn't he? I enjoy his crazy kick dancing for the hen, and that tail is magnificent.

I cannot imagine finding my birds killed by dogs. I like dogs, but they shouldn't be roaming free. You are gonna need to keep an eye out for them, which is a pain in the butt.

Ain't he purdy? :loveIMO, the smart ones are the most good-natured ones, like Bash and Atlas and Isaac and Suede (well, I'll include Hector, too, but he has too much energy) They know who is in charge, who takes care of them, who is not a threat to them or their hens, and in this case, who loves them. The stupid ones are just too dumb to get it. I had to do a new email and my email is "roostermagnet". Nuff said, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom