The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

I don't know. I hope they chill. Neither are the super friendly/sweet hens that Wynette and Dru are. Good layers of giant eggs, yes. Beautiful, yes. A royal pain, YES. Lizzie spent the rest of the day in that separate pen with Tessa harassing her sister. Liz is a bully when she can get away with it, but a change of location/flock may change all that. I spent all that time trying to fix her when Atlas hurt her leg, took months, and she's completely healed, but unlike birds becoming friendlier after a period of close contact caring for them, she didn't get any less "DON'T TOUCH ME!".

And Tessa, I was ticked at her. She was bullying Athena. I went in there to stop her. She jumped on a roost and as I approached her and said her name (she could tell I was not happy with her by my tone, I'm sure), I saw her hackles come out and that look in her eye. I said, "You're doing that to the... wrong... person, you heifer!" and I snatched her up and threw her in that other pen, followed by Lizzie. That's Tessa and it has never endeared me to her.
Apparently your hens are feeling hormonal too. I haven't seen that with my birds, so it's interesting to hear about. It makes sense that if roosters get hormonal surges hens will too.

I have seen sexually maturing pullets get a bit more aggressive before calming down, but not in my older hens, though I may just not be around to see it.

Hopefully everyone calms down for you soon, but it probably won't be until the heat starts up for you, that tends to slow chickens down.

Apparently your hens are feeling hormonal too. I haven't seen that with my birds, so it's interesting to hear about. It makes sense that if roosters get hormonal surges hens will too.

I have seen sexually maturing pullets get a bit more aggressive before calming down, but not in my older hens, though I may just not be around to see it.

Hopefully everyone calms down for you soon, but it probably won't be until the heat starts up for you, that tends to slow chickens down.

Maybe. Not sure why they're all nuts, but guess it has to be the warm spell, though it's very wet today and a good bit cooler.

Tried to take a picture over the railing, but it's grainy. The hyacinths are just beginning to open.

DSC01218.JPG

Thank you for the worming and mite advice.

Someone had given pour on ivomec by mouth.
I asked if it was advisable. With spellcheck it came out
Cattle Poupon instead of cattle pour on. Not advisable.

There is an injectible and a pour on in the invermectin. I have used generic invermection pour on, which goes on the skin, not in the mouth, of course, but it is not very effective at times. So, I just went with Valbazen. At one point in time, I used to put a pea sized dollop of the fenbendazole (Safeguard) paste in each mouth to worm, and I may do that again some time. I had better luck with that than invermectin, or it became ineffective over time.
My birds were stuck inside today, the day after worming. I found a dead roundworm in poop I think was Athena's, so they did need it. I don't think she was wormed last time, only got the non-layers in that group back in January.

I just wormed, and dusted all my birds too. Cleaned all the hay out of their coops (except the hay in their nest boxes) and raked everything. I want to spray the coop down too. By Thursday I'll put in all fresh hay.

I still need to dust mine. I dusted Snow and Amanda, but the rest need it after such a long time being stuck inside for protracted periods.

Oh, a tribute to the not-so-great police chief in Parkland, Florida (not political, hang on), whose men ran and hid behind vehicles while the Coral Springs police went in to subdue the shooter in the school. Now, this is one of my favorite movie scenes of all time and we need a Monday morning laugh after all the awful stuff going on in the world we can't control.

Demolition Man is a great movie.

One of my favorites! And I love that scene. Makes me laugh every time I think of it, not to take away from the sad situations in the news we've seen lately, but we can't do a thing about those, unfortunately. Anyway, great movie! Another favorite of mine from Sylvester Stallone is Cliffhanger, not funny, but great scenery.

Back
Top Bottom