The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by speckledhen, May 8, 2014.

1. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    Looks like the clean up is going well. You have some beautiful land and scenery. Finn has really filled out and is beautiful...I love yellow tabbies! I have a cat, Bella who used to be feral. She showed up at work 9 yrs ago and our manager was going to call the pound. I trapped her and brought her home and the rest is history. She is a wonderful cat and very sweet, but still won't get in my lap and hates to be picked up, but she will curl up in the bed with my son every night. With cats, you have to accept them on their terms. Bella is now 10 and quite spoiled and loved by all of us. She still won't let a stranger come near her. The only people that she will let touch her are me, my husband, and son. Here's a picture of the queen...
    [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

She is beautiful! We had a cat who looked very much like her when we were kids named Missy. She was 1/2 Persian, so longer haired, but could be your Bella's sister.

Right now, Finn is snoozing upside down in his cat condo, all toasty warm, having eaten a mouse this morning plus his regular breakfast. At least I know that if for some reason he is ever on his own again, he can find his own food. He's apparently very good at catching rodents. I see him playing with one almost every day now.

3. chickenneighbor

chickenneighbor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Maine
    SH, do your chickens ever catch and/or eat mice? The prima donnas next door hold up their beaks as if you have offended the royal palate!

4. speckledhen

I haven't seen them do it in a long time. I do recall my original hens catching one or two in the woods, but not one of these hens in recent years. They'll eat frogs if they're small enough so I think if they could catch a mouse, most of them would probably eat it.

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    My hens will eat just about anything, including mice, frogs and minnows (or any other unused bait). To them they must all look like tasty big bugs :lol:

6. lularat

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    I don't know about mice, but they will destroy a frog.

7. lularat

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    Bella used to be a good hunter and would bring me all kinds of surprises and put them on my front porch. I used to have 4 bird feeders in my back yard, but had to get rid of them because of Bella. She thought I had set up a buffet for her. She would try to get the birds that ate the feed that fell on the ground. Since she has gotten older and fatter, she doesn't hunt anymore.

8. speckledhen

I haven't used bird feeders since I got chickens, but I haven't seen Finn catch a bird. He wiggles his bum too much when he stalks them and they see him and fly away too fast. I can't imagine he could get one unless it was hurt already.

9. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    We have a broody!!!!!

10. speckledhen

Cool! Which one is it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by