1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by speckledhen, May 8, 2014.

1. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I wouldn't dare hold a cat upside down while it is mewing and squawking - otherwise I would be dialing 9-1-1 for an ambulance. Cat folks are much braver than I am. Dogs I understand.

2. getaclue

getaclue Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Some of it depends on the cat, and it's disposition. I have two. 1 hates being held, loves to lay in my lap when invited, and likes to be petted, but isn't obnoxious about it. The other 1 likes being held, doesn't like to lay in my lap, but likes to curl up by my feet in bed.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I wouldn't try this with Finn. We'd be nursing stinging scratches for sure. Those scratches are particularly painful, we've found, just from him playing around.

Finn is not a mean cat. He loves to curl up in DH's lap, just found him there. When I say hello, he says hello back to me every morning, a very sociable guy. He loves petting, but doesn't like to be held for a long time. He won't sit in my lap for long, prefers Cat Hater, who in truth, isn't that much of a cat hater any longer. He really likes Finn, picks him up all the time, looks for him if he's been gone too long. Finn knows where he belongs and I think Cat Magnet is enjoying him. He loves that Finn makes his requests known to go out and is fine with sleeping in his condo at night. He's acclimated himself to the routines here and even some of the chickens are finally getting used to his presence.

4. Peanutsmomma

Peanutsmomma Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Drumstick Diva, is your new avatar a pint of Haagen Daz Rocky Road ice cream? I love it!!!

5. speckledhen

A beautiful spring day in winter today, sunny, high about 60*. The land clean-up/stumping has made further progress, though he's only been able to work it 3 days since we made the agreement due to different issues, most of all weather, but he was here yesterday until it became too dark to see and removed several huge stumps you will see just sitting above ground in the photos.
    Rachel's chicks touched ground for the first time and she took them to the other side of the coop, the storage area in front of Deacon's section. I didn't get one single decent shot of them, only fuzzy butts, but included them here anyway.
    We began to take down the huge coop compost pile which has been sitting for months w/o being added to, in prep for a larger garden this year. The rolled up fencing made a hiding place for Finn. He is completely invisible to anything in there and he knows it. He laid in there the entire time we were puttering around with the garden hoe.
    Click to enlarge.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the back end of the chick train

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I love their stripy wings - though I prefer drumsticks - more meat on them.

7. speckledhen

[​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Peanutsmommy - absolutely right !! Sheriff Mary designed that for me. It's $ 4.69 in the store for 14 oz. so I have been waiting for a sale.. a coupon or something

9. drumstick diva

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Speckled Hen, I do not eat Barred Rocks, only the stuff the grocery store passes off as chicken. Drumsticks do have more meat than wings. Turkey drumsticks are even better

10. speckledhen

I was only teasing you, diva. I don't eat any of my chickens, not unless some rooster loses his mind and asks for it. And that almost never happens here, not with the birds I have and breed from. Actually, the only one we've ever processed was a Delaware, pre-Isaac years.

ETA: Adding pictures of Deacon, Rita, Serena and Sammie Jo. I think maybe the reason Deacon was losing weight was when I put layers in with him, his feed changed from almost all Knockout grain mix to layer pellets with only the Knockout thrown in morning and at night when they went inside. He was eating man-food and I gave him woman-food. Shame on me!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by