The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

A beautiful spring day in winter today, sunny, high about 60*. The land clean-up/stumping has made further progress, though he's only been able to work it 3 days since we made the agreement due to different issues, most of all weather, but he was here yesterday until it became too dark to see and removed several huge stumps you will see just sitting above ground in the photos.
Rachel's chicks touched ground for the first time and she took them to the other side of the coop, the storage area in front of Deacon's section. I didn't get one single decent shot of them, only fuzzy butts, but included them here anyway.
We began to take down the huge coop compost pile which has been sitting for months w/o being added to, in prep for a larger garden this year. The rolled up fencing made a hiding place for Finn. He is completely invisible to anything in there and he knows it. He laid in there the entire time we were puttering around with the garden hoe.
Click to enlarge.

And the back end of the chick train

Looks like the clean up is going well. You have some beautiful land and scenery. Finn has really filled out and is beautiful...I love yellow tabbies! I have a cat, Bella who used to be feral. She showed up at work 9 yrs ago and our manager was going to call the pound. I trapped her and brought her home and the rest is history. She is a wonderful cat and very sweet, but still won't get in my lap and hates to be picked up, but she will curl up in the bed with my son every night. With cats, you have to accept them on their terms. Bella is now 10 and quite spoiled and loved by all of us. She still won't let a stranger come near her. The only people that she will let touch her are me, my husband, and son. Here's a picture of the queen...

Looks like the clean up is going well. You have some beautiful land and scenery. Finn has really filled out and is beautiful...I love yellow tabbies! I have a cat, Bella who used to be feral. She showed up at work 9 yrs ago and our manager was going to call the pound. I trapped her and brought her home and the rest is history. She is a wonderful cat and very sweet, but still won't get in my lap and hates to be picked up, but she will curl up in the bed with my son every night. With cats, you have to accept them on their terms. Bella is now 10 and quite spoiled and loved by all of us. She still won't let a stranger come near her. The only people that she will let touch her are me, my husband, and son. Here's a picture of the queen...
She is beautiful! We had a cat who looked very much like her when we were kids named Missy. She was 1/2 Persian, so longer haired, but could be your Bella's sister.

Right now, Finn is snoozing upside down in his cat condo, all toasty warm, having eaten a mouse this morning plus his regular breakfast. At least I know that if for some reason he is ever on his own again, he can find his own food. He's apparently very good at catching rodents. I see him playing with one almost every day now.

SH, do your chickens ever catch and/or eat mice? The prima donnas next door hold up their beaks as if you have offended the royal palate!
I haven't seen them do it in a long time. I do recall my original hens catching one or two in the woods, but not one of these hens in recent years. They'll eat frogs if they're small enough so I think if they could catch a mouse, most of them would probably eat it.

My hens will eat just about anything, including mice, frogs and minnows (or any other unused bait). To them they must all look like tasty big bugs
lol.png
I don't know about mice, but they will destroy a frog.

She is beautiful! We had a cat who looked very much like her when we were kids named Missy. She was 1/2 Persian, so longer haired, but could be your Bella's sister.

Right now, Finn is snoozing upside down in his cat condo, all toasty warm, having eaten a mouse this morning plus his regular breakfast. At least I know that if for some reason he is ever on his own again, he can find his own food. He's apparently very good at catching rodents. I see him playing with one almost every day now.
Bella used to be a good hunter and would bring me all kinds of surprises and put them on my front porch. I used to have 4 bird feeders in my back yard, but had to get rid of them because of Bella. She thought I had set up a buffet for her. She would try to get the birds that ate the feed that fell on the ground. Since she has gotten older and fatter, she doesn't hunt anymore.

Bella used to be a good hunter and would bring me all kinds of surprises and put them on my front porch. I used to have 4 bird feeders in my back yard, but had to get rid of them because of Bella. She thought I had set up a buffet for her. She would try to get the birds that ate the feed that fell on the ground. Since she has gotten older and fatter, she doesn't hunt anymore.

I haven't used bird feeders since I got chickens, but I haven't seen Finn catch a bird. He wiggles his bum too much when he stalks them and they see him and fly away too fast. I can't imagine he could get one unless it was hurt already.

Back
Top Bottom