The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

I have multiple health problems and no kids, doing simple tasks are difficult for me, and my husband is no spring chicken either. I meant no offense, just letting you know not everyone actually wants help, sorry if I offended you.

Wanted to add most days aren't exactly enjoyable for me, but I always try to be kind to people because you never know who is suffering, and doesn't show it.

No offense taken. I just tell it straight forward, and call it as I see it. I have health issues myself, but I manage. Also, I understand that most people want to be independent and don't want help. I much prefer doing my own thing. I believe that most of us do. Maybe I should have just had this discussion with Cyn in private. My apologies to her for making it public. Take care.

What a generous offer. One of the hardest things to accept when you are used to being strong and independent and your health goes is help from others - even when it is help you would offer in a minute if positions were reversed

You are 100% on the money with everything you just said, thank you, Mary. I understand what Lisa said and I understand what Bruce said on all counts, too. I appreciate all of you that choose to stick around the thread, even though it's become a bit less about sweet old Atlas as time has gone on and more about his progeny, though now, with the reemergence of the dwarf gene, not much to really say about that line other than the girls from it that will go to Hector. If you notice, I had sumi change the title of the thread to describe it better now.

First of all, I'm never offended or insulted by a kind, honest offer of help, even if I know I cannot accept it and neither is my husband. He has helped other neighbors with less physical things, too, and is happy to do so when they call on him-most are much older than we are. I think he believes that he can still get it all done around here, albeit, slowly and leaving off the absolute non-essentials and for the most part, we can do a semi-acceptable job of it, but at times, his inability gets him down and in turn, it brings me down a bit, too. I'm sorry if I started a problematic discussion by whining a little bit. Not many folks to really discuss it with and it's like this is my little comfy gripe thread at times, though I try not to do that too much or too often.

I understood, and hope I haven't been labeled a troublemaker. I have always enjoyed your posts, and I have enjoyed having a peek into your life.

Lisa, NEVER would I call you anything of the sort! You are always a great source of support for me. You don't go anywhere, lady! I am always happy when I see you've posted in the thread. I think we have a lot in common.
:hugs

Cyn, the kerfuffle is probably my fault since I should have contacted you privately, although the new BYC PM system is extremely limited. It's something like 200 characters or so. Anyway, when I asked you how you were doing before the BYC software change, you had mentioned you had some of the labor-intensive farm tasks that needed to be done, so it had been on my mind awhile, and when I read what you posted here, well, you know the rest of the story...

@oldhenlikesdogs I apologize for coming across gruff to you.

Cyn, speaking about the dwarf gene, I have a cockerel who seems to have the opposite condition. Out of 26 FBCM chicks hatched the same date from three sister FBCM about four or five weeks ago, this one cockerel seems to have an over-active pituitary gland. I'm not sure if it's a genetic condition or what. He became so lanky that I had to separate him from the others a couple of weeks ago. I honestly thought that he wasn't going to make. Since he is a cockerel, I was going to cull him anyway. Out of curiosity I've kept him around, and now Lisa (my wife) has grown attached to him, so it looks like we're stuck him. Have you heard of that condition before? (Don't mean to hijack your thread, but you do have a lot of experience in these matters.)

Cyn, the kerfuffle is probably my fault since I should have contacted you privately, although the new BYC PM system is extremely limited. It's something like 200 characters or so. Anyway, when I asked you how you were doing before the BYC software change, you had mentioned you had some of the labor-intensive farm tasks that needed to be done, so it had been on my mind awhile, and when I read what you posted here, well, you know the rest of the story...

@oldhenlikesdogs I apologize for coming across gruff to you.

Cyn, speaking about the dwarf gene, I have a cockerel who seems to have the opposite condition. Out of 26 FBCM chicks hatched the same date from three sister FBCM about four or five weeks ago, this one cockerel seems to have an over-active pituitary gland. I'm not sure if it's a genetic condition or what. He became so lanky that I had to separate him from the others a couple of weeks ago. I honestly thought that he wasn't going to make. Since he is a cockerel, I was going to cull him anyway. Out of curiosity I've kept him around, and now Lisa (my wife) has grown attached to him, so it looks like we're stuck him. Have you heard of that condition before? (Don't mean to hijack your thread, but you do have a lot of experience in these matters.)

First of all, no worries on the first part. I wasn't aware of the new system being limited that way, though. Maybe a larger capacity would be connected to premium memberships and such, not sure.

As far as the "moose gene", LOL, I'm not sure about a particular giant gene or anything like that, but I know that I do have at least one "moose" in most every batch of Barred Rock cockerels. Had one the last time, just a big guy much larger than his brothers.

Well I kind of think of this thread as a place for us to get together as much as being about Atlas and his motley crew. I much appreciate your personal touches, and the news from the Georgia Mountains.

And another thing that you find with time is that Good Enough is usually good enough - perfection is for perfectionists. And not for me.

Interesting. However, I don't know if I would call this guy's gene a "moose" gene. It's more like a walking-stick gene. lol This cockerel was so lanky to the point of being unhealthy. He had trouble walking and his legs would sometimes bend in the wrong direction right at the base of the tibia. He's a fighter though, and he kept on eating and drinking. Fortunately for him, the rest of his body seems to be catching up now, and he's walking much better. However, he is still super tall and thin for a FBCM.

Back
Top Bottom