The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Seems like it's been really quiet around here!
Lots going on here with the warm weather rush. I'm finally getting all this year's chicks into the places they need to be. They are semi- integrated. I swear it gets easier every year, which is good I'm getting too old for all this chick chasing, and moving.

Finally got all my baby bunnies divided into their own cages. Now I got too many bunnies, but they are still too adorable.

Of course there's always gardening, we are also waiting on some dry days to bale hay yet.

@oldhenlikesdogs
How old are your chicks when you allow them to run outside?

Also...how do you keep track of all your birds? This is the first time I've gotten 15 chicks at a time. Before that, the most I had at a time was 12 but they were in 2 separate groups of 6 so it might as well have been 6.

I'm finding that having so many all the same size keeps me from feeling like I really have a good handle on each one's well-being.

@oldhenlikesdogs
How old are your chicks when you allow them to run outside?

Also...how do you keep track of all your birds? This is the first time I've gotten 15 chicks at a time. Before that, the most I had at a time was 12 but they were in 2 separate groups of 6 so it might as well have been 6.

I'm finding that having so many all the same size keeps me from feeling like I really have a good handle on each one's well-being.
I moved the bigger breeds plus a few bantam roosters out to the shed at 4 weeks, and the rest of my bantams went out to the bantam coop tonight. There's 12 chicks in the big shed and 14 in the bantam coop.

I count babies when I lock them up at dusk. Eventually I will stop doing that. I generally look around to see if I see all my birds. Even at over 100 chickens I know each one, and notice if I haven't seen one all day.

My babies aren't brave enough to leave their pens too far yet, it will take about a month before they start heading outside on a regular basis.

These are the ones out in my big shed. Seems my old bantam cochin rooster is enjoying their company.

h2o, depending on what you want to spend, and what your ultimate goal is, instead of a game cam, you might want to invest into a decent surveillance system. We started with the NVR, and 1 camera, then added cameras each month or two as money allowed. The 4k systems are fantastic, and if you check out Nelly's security, they have some excellent prices, tech support, and warranties. The distance the 4k's cover, and the clarity is amazing. We have a big screen tv for the security cameras in the living room, on the wall above the regular big screen tv. Dh and I can also view everything on our computers, tablets, and phones. Just a thought.
Do you watch your chickens? How does it compare to the packages that Costco has?

I moved the bigger breeds plus a few bantam roosters out to the shed at 4 weeks, and the rest of my bantams went out to the bantam coop tonight. There's 12 chicks in the big shed and 14 in the bantam coop.

I count babies when I lock them up at dusk. Eventually I will stop doing that. I generally look around to see if I see all my birds. Even at over 100 chickens I know each one, and notice if I haven't seen one all day.

My babies aren't brave enough to leave their pens too far yet, it will take about a month before they start heading outside on a regular basis.

These are the ones out in my big shed. Seems my old bantam cochin rooster is enjoying their company.

View attachment 1444489
I see you have lots of other animals also. Wow. 100 chickens. I really can’t keep up with em.

Back
Top Bottom