The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Wow, so many posts since I was here yesterday! I was a little sick overnight, no idea why, bad stomach pains and slightly queasy. Trying to get over it today. We had a squash casserole for supper and it has a lot of two cheeses in it, thinking that at times, I don't handle cheese in those quantities all that well.
Working on two different quilted things. The one with black is called God's Eye, the pattern is. Waiting on black thread I ordered to get here to do the actual quilting. The second one is a giant quilt block (45") that I'll put a border on, maybe with some blue in it, and then quilt as is for a couch throw/child's quilt/whatever. Can't do anything until my stomach quits cramping, though. Tom did all the barn chores this morning. I'm thankful every day that I have a husband who will take up the slack and step in when necessary to get stuff done, even if he's not feeling so great.

View attachment 1444735 View attachment 1444736

Hey @kitkat5505 Kara, what kind of backsplash are you/did you put in your kitchen? I'm thinking of putting in one myself. It's painted and really needs something easier to clean. I'm going toward simple subway tiles in a light green-gray color, possibly. Here is my kitchen right after the post-fire renovation.

View attachment 1444742
Love the quiltscolors are beautiful.

I also envy your kitchen. Mine is like a galley on a boat.

Hey @kitkat5505 Kara, what kind of backsplash are you/did you put in your kitchen? I'm thinking of putting in one myself. It's painted and really needs something easier to clean. I'm going toward simple subway tiles in a light green-gray color, possibly. Here is my kitchen right after the post-fire renovation.

View attachment 1444742
Here’s the backsplash I chose.
1F19DF03-89B6-43FF-9A90-748BEB61D720.jpeg

Sorry you aren’t feeling well, hope it passes quickly.

Here’s the backsplash I chose.

Sorry you aren’t feeling well, hope it passes quickly.

Beautiful! Perfect choice. I'm slowly feeling better, not sure what happened. Lack of sleep all night is taking its toll, but it will pass soon enough.

On the wounds, I use Vetericyn Wound Spray, but not sure it would prevent fly strike. Any ointment that covers the wound that is suitable for chickens would probably do a good job.

I just saw that a friend/local guy and probably cousin of my husband's lost every single bird he owns, including all of Atlas's and Hector's sons and daughters, to the neighbor's Akita horde. He belongs to the same chicken FB swap group we do. That dog owner, the neighbor, is one I refused to sell a BR pair to a couple of years ago. When I refused to sell to him after finding out the county had multiple charges against him for his dogs killing other animals, etc, knowing my birds would not be safe, he immediately got on Facebook and began saying my husband refused to sell to him and called him names because he was gay, which was 100% unknown to us. I don't give a rat's behind what your predilections are as far as that goes if you take care of your livestock, for cripes sake. It came to our attention when the cousin notified us of what he was doing.

The cousin has had his dog seriously injured by those nasty Akitas and now, all his birds are dead. The dog pulled a 2x4 welded wire apart. They're about like a pitbull in strength, I understand. So, now, I cannot sell to this friend because of who his neighbor is. I just will not put my birds in danger again. I know he'll do his best to shore up his defenses, but he already had done what he thought would keep them out and it didn't work. Me, I'd sit up and hunt them like whitetail deer if they crossed my property line. I'd put out dog size traps to catch the devil dogs and shoot them in the cages. The photos of my beautiful Barred Rocks dead all over the pen were just too upsetting. :hit

So sorry!:hugs
Can the county not confiscate his dogs from the charges and further evidence of his dogs being out of control and off leash, destroying people's property, etc ?

The county has charged him numerous times for illegal dog breeding operations, cruelty, etc. but they don't seem to be able to stop him for some reason. This is why I say that animal control is of almost no use in rural counties like ours. We have to take matters into our own hands. He didn't see the attack, but found the tracks and it was one of those big dogs. Me, I loathe Akitas, always have. And badly bred ones are just awful dogs. I would be moving if that lowlife moved in next to me. You practically have to have them pose for a picture while slaughtering your birds to get anything done. I love dogs, but I wouldn't hesitate to blow every one of those away if it crossed my property line. He's talking about getting a hotwire rigged up now, but he's lost all those beautiful, sweet BRs he bought from me and I won't sell him more as long as that jerkwad lives next to him.

This is what our cousin wrote about this guy tonight on the group:

This has been going on in one form or other for years, from DeKalb county to Cochran, Ga to here now for over 3 years. Dept of Ag and SO and FCAC, he seems to be able to skate along a thin line and no one wants to deal with that many rescues. Gave up their breeding kennel license and can only sell one litter per year now. SO for months now he claims to live in NC ( he did buy a house there that has only about an acre a couple of weeks ago) with no sign of moving and I am told has people meet him at TSC Murphy so he's not technically selling them in GA. No kennel license, no inspections.

He says he's seen about 50 of those dogs there in the kennels. That's insane if he cannot be a breeder.

h2O, if you're going to invest, go with the 4k camera system. The package deals at Nelly's security are very good. I forgot the name of the antenna system we use to make them wireless, but will get the name from Dh, and post about it tomorrow. That particular system, uses POE, which means that instead of having to plug each camera into a power source, the ethernet cable used to connect them, also supplies the power. For the ones we have hooked up as wireless, they need to be plugged into a power source.

Back
Top Bottom