The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

I've always loved collies. When I was young my mom had a kennel and, even after the kennel, she'd keep at least one.

When I was in high school I wanted a dog of my own. They already had 2 collies so she said we couldn't have another big dog. I chose a Shetland Sheepdog because it was a miniature collie!

I've never had a collie as an adult. I don't see them around much either.

I've always loved collies. When I was young my mom had a kennel and, even after the kennel, she'd keep at least one.

When I was in high school I wanted a dog of my own. They already had 2 collies so she said we couldn't have another big dog. I chose a Shetland Sheepdog because it was a miniature collie!

I've never had a collie as an adult. I don't see them around much either.
They have fallen out of favor in the last few decades. Neighbors had one, a few years ago but I don't see a lot of them either here. They are no longer like Lassie used to be. Unfortunately most show breeding has destroyed many breeds, and made some breeds no longer able to do the job they originally were created for. How was your sheltie? Neighbor now has one of those and it barks every time it steps outside.

I chose a Shetland Sheepdog because it was a miniature collie!

I like Shelties! halo (Kathy in FL) had two or three of them. They were great with her chickens, very smart. I remember a breeder who had them when we were breeding Dobermans back in my early years. And the show handler for our dog bred Skipperkes. Those are cute little dogs, not very common. A real estate client of mine had one and was amazed that I knew what it was.

I like Shelties! halo (Kathy in FL) had two or three of them. They were great with her chickens, very smart. I remember a breeder who had them when we were breeding Dobermans back in my early years. And the show handler for our dog bred Skipperkes. Those are cute little dogs, not very common. A real estate client of mine had one and was amazed that I knew what it was.
I had forgotten that you bred Dobermans. I didn't know that you showed them too. They are a nice breed that hasn't been messed with much except to make them less aggressive.

I had forgotten that you bred Dobermans. I didn't know that you showed them too. They are a nice breed that hasn't been messed with much except to make them less aggressive.

We showed only one of them, an extra large female from the Warlock line. I love the breed, but they are cold-natured so if I ever got another, it would definitely be a dog for the house, not for guarding chickens. I've known a lot of folks who have had Dobes around their chickens successfully so I guess one could be trained, but the prices they charge for purebred Dobes can be insane! I'd only want a well-bred one, though, because puppy mill Dobes, like all badly bred dogs, can be snappy and unpredictable.

This was what our cousin just posted on his thread about the Akitas killing his birds when someone mentioned reporting it to the county:

dogs from there have killed 3 smaller dogs (they paid for 2, a receipt couldn't be found for the third) belonging to a neighbor and ( 4 at once) mauled my Blk. & Tan mix. Couldn't get to the shotgun for trying to get my dog loose. When I finally did the load of #8's in it didn't even make them turn their heads as they went home. Over $1700 vet bill was presented to them and they denied it, said it must have been coyotes. Ever see a mostly white coyote ? I can't afford the thousands it will take to sue them in civil court. Fannin Commissioners refuse to modify ordinance. Head commissioner says I have a neighbor problem, not a dog problem.

So, you see he's been living a nightmare and the county is backing off helping him do anything. He'll have to kill those dogs one by one, I guess.

I'm off to bed to read myself to sleep. G'nite, all.

I don't think either beagles or bassets belong on that list. They are quite bright. What they are not is obedient, but that is a completely different thing.

I would add cocker spaniels - dumb as a post and often bite like a snake.

I agree on the cockers! I think beagles are headstrong and stubborn and very driven, definitely not the same as dumb.

I liked all my shelties but they BARK AND BARK AND BARK. I've known breeders who lived in the city that have had the (vocal chords I think) clipped. They continue to bark, but it sounds like a whisper or laryngitis....

Shelties are a herding breed - thus the barking.

I've see so few collies in the last several years. The ones I've seen look "anemic"...I mean their coats look so washed out with no masking.

I guess I can understand that folks wouldn't want to take care of that undercoat. But the good thing about that type of coat (which shelties also have) is that the hair comes out in large clumps when shedding rather than tons of tiny little hairs.

Back
Top Bottom