The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Than you for the reassurance! It makes me feel a little bit better! We did everything that we thought we could do to make sure they stay warm and next to no wind hits them.
Young healthy birds can handle the cold temperatures. Older birds may struggle if they have issues. I do occasionally get some frostbite on comb points but nothing usually to worry about. More than likely your birds will sit close and share body heat. Others will act like nothing is different. I do understand the worry. Chickens are pretty hardy creatures.

Young healthy birds can handle the cold temperatures. Older birds may struggle if they have issues. I do occasionally get some frostbite on comb points but nothing usually to worry about. More than likely your birds will sit close and share body heat. Others will act like nothing is different. I do understand the worry. Chickens are pretty hardy creatures.
My cockerel Speckled Sussex has all black tips from the frostbite do you know if that can heal or if his tips are going to fall off?! I don't want them to because he has such a pretty comb!!!!

My cockerel Speckled Sussex has all black tips from the frostbite do you know if that can heal or if his tips are going to fall off?! I don't want them to because he has such a pretty comb!!!!
He will lose the black tissue. It can help to make sure your coop has good air exchange as moisture can encourage frostbite, so don't close things up too tight. You want ventilation, not drafts. I always have a east facing door that stays open.

When it gets really cold, below -20 generally it can be hard to prevent frostbite on big combed roosters. Some say Vaseline works. I personally have never tried it because I have multiple roosters. Most of mine have lost their comb points. They are still handsome.

I recommend leaving frost bitten tissue alone. It will heal without help. Sometimes there's swelling is the damage is a lot, especially on wattles.

He will lose the black tissue. It can help to make sure your coop has good air exchange as moisture can encourage frostbite, so don't close things up too tight. You want ventilation, not drafts. I always have a east facing door that stays open.

When it gets really cold, below -20 generally it can be hard to prevent frostbite on big combed roosters. Some say Vaseline works. I personally have never tried it because I have multiple roosters. Most of mine have lost their comb points. They are still handsome.

I recommend leaving frost bitten tissue alone. It will heal without help. Sometimes there's swelling is the damage is a lot, especially on wattles.
SO will the black parts completely fall off or will hit tips still be fine just shorter?

SO will the black parts completely fall off or will hit tips still be fine just shorter?
If it's all black it should shrivel up eventually and fall off. It depends how far down the frostbite is. I have some rooster whose combs are just shortened as far as the tips and others that are without any signs of the points.

Last edited:
If it's all black it should shrivel up eventually and fall off. It depends how far down the frostbite is. I have some rooster whose combs are just shortened as far as the tips and others that are without any signs of the points.

Orpington rooster with points missing

View attachment 1651265

Barnevelder with a bit more damage, and half a wattle missing.

View attachment 1651268
This makes me feel better because your roosters are still gorgeous!! It's currently more like a grey black , we are supposed to continue getting bad weather so I think that they will fall off but I will still love him the same!
79081D9D-D4E8-42CA-AA55-E6B322432064.jpeg

This makes me feel better because your roosters are still gorgeous!! It's currently more like a grey black , we are supposed to continue getting bad weather so I think that they will fall off but I will still love him the same! View attachment 1651275
He's got a really big comb. All that darkened tissue will eventually come off. It does take a while to happen. I think my boys are good looking too. I lost the barnevelder last fall and miss him dearly. I have a few other roosters all with various degrees of tissue loss. It gets darn cold here.

Oldhen has given you excellent advice, especially about ventilation. One of my south-facing windows is always at least a little bit open to allow fresh air to enter and moist air to vent.
We are expecting temperatures down into the zero range here as well, possibly colder. As well as another anywhere from three to six inches of snow on top of the foot we already have over the next few days. I don't count wind chill, as it only counts if you are actually stupid enough to stand in the wind for very long :lol:

Oldhen has given you excellent advice, especially about ventilation. One of my south-facing windows is always at least a little bit open to allow fresh air to enter and moist air to vent.
We are expecting temperatures down into the zero range here as well, possibly colder. As well as another anywhere from three to six inches of snow on top of the foot we already have over the next few days. I don't count wind chill, as it only counts if you are actually stupid enough to stand in the wind for very long :lol:
I'm stupid enough because my mail and my shed is a bit of a walk. I guess I didn't fully listen to my weather. -40 wind chills, yikes, the wind is already picking up.

Back
Top Bottom