The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Around 3 am, several mice got under the wire, and ran into the coop. A bit later, a wild rabbit jumped the wire, and was hopping around by the coop. The rabbit jumped back out, and a few minutes later, a huge raccoon got past the fence. Some of the baits were eaten, and the electric fence didn't seem to deter much. I even went out on the tractor to scare the raccoon away. I checked the fence good today. Everything seemed fine. While I was checking it, Dh came out, and asked me why I had turned it off last night. Huh? He said it was off when he came home this morning. That particular surveillance camera is wireless. It reset itself several times last night. The error message said something about another signal on the same frequency. That was about the time the fence seemed to quit working. I am now wondering if there is some sort of nearby device tuned to the frequency, or close enough to the frequency that we are using for the camera, and electric fence, that might be turning the fence off in the middle of the night.

I'm going to put my little grey hen "Grannie" down tomorrow - would have done it today but other issues arose. She was the hen that molted in a terrible cold January a few years ago, and spent several weeks in the garage, then later frostbit her toes. She had another very late molt this year as well. She has been gimpy lately, and I finally got a good look at her feet - her right foot is frozen to above the ankle. Ouch. She is quite flighty most of the time and it's hard to get close to her. Poor little thing.

You've had a run of bad stuff, Mary. I know how that feels.

For something more cheery, here is something I put together (while pulling my hair out over this stupid Video Pad Editor program being grumpy today).
...the short clip of Atlas and Spike fussing at the fence is in repeat, five years later.

I loved the clip you put together. I guess old habits die hard. Do you realize how beautiful your birds are? Well, I DO!!!.
Thank you, Cheryl. I could have done a 3 hour movie from all the photos of Atlas growing up I have. He looks like an old man now, but he was so, so hunky as a youngster.
Right now, I'm hoping that Druscilla is okay. She is about 6 mos younger than Wynette , so not a young thing, and she spent all day under the heat lamp on the top roost shelf. It was cold, but not that cold. If I lose her, Atlas will be down to 9 yr old Gloria Jean. That's just not fair. I guess I could give him back Wendy, Zara and Athena if that happens, but they're doing okay with Hector now.

Back
Top Bottom