The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Michelle, how exciting! I’m in the Rockies myself. Or next to them. I’m almost in Utah, truth be told.

Mary how do you like your Arkansas Blues? Are they flighty? Do they tolerate the heat well at all? Broody? Productive? Sorry for all of the questions but I can’t find hardly any good info of them online

Hi Kaley! I'm Michelle, and I'm pretty quiet these days, too. I'm kind-of nestled in the mountains of VA, between the Blue Ridge mountains and the Appalachian mountains. Super busy with my kiddos and our little funny farm. Current fun farm stuff: we have 3 hens sitting on eggs and I have been on twice a day checks on my cow (avatar pic) who is due Friday with her second calf. I don't think she will make it through the weekend before she has it!
Be sure to post pics here of the calf.

As requested, baby bull calf born yesterday around 4PM. I continue to be amazed by these little cows. They are thrifty with feed, easily grass fed and finished, and they rarely need assistance birthing. Calf was standing a nursing in under 30 minutes. I knew Gabby was close yesterday morning when I checked her, within 24hrs. She is amazing. I am still undecided if I will milk her this time around. I have too many irons in the fire at the moment. So, our herd of 4 Dexters and 1 horse has increased by 1.

It thunder stormed right after he was born, so we are still deciding on a name-- Thunder, Stormy, Thor, Neo (Neowise) or Comet are a few options we have come up with.

I was so hoping for a heifer, but it seems all we grow are boys around here!
20200724_072355.jpg
20200724_073445.jpg
20200724_073112.jpg

I thought Thor would be great, but look at that great big cowlick on his forehead! Maybe Eddy? Or Vortex? Or Hurricane? Tornado? Twister?

Mary how do you like your Arkansas Blues? Are they flighty? Do they tolerate the heat well at all? Broody? Productive? Sorry for all of the questions but I can’t find hardly any good info of them online

Smallish birds that are excellent layers of beautiful large untinted blue eggs, very feed efficient, and fly like partridge. I would not call them flighty as they come when called in after ranging and they will come relatively close for treats, but they do not like to be handled and avoid any physical contact. Color is typical Andalusian Blue-Black-Splash; some have a little copper leakage, but not all of them. They seem tolerant of pretty much everything; they have an untidy pea comb that does not seem to frostbite, and are sprightly in hot or cold weather. It is unfortunate they are not more widespread, I think many people would appreciate them, but they are likely to fall by the wayside when I give them up someday.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom