The extra toe gene: how does it work, exactly?

Would you eat silkies even if your rabbi told you that they are kosher? I would mostly want to eat their eggs if anything else. Something seems wrong in my opinion with eating a bird that looks like a fluffy kitten.

Still, eggs are eggs. I'd eat silkie eggs if I wasn't planning on hatching them.

I really like this conversation guys. It's very enlightening :)

How are things Flock Leader?
Of course I wouldn't eat Silkies.
ep.gif
They are too cute! We've never eaten any of our chickens, and I doubt we ever will. But I would eat their eggs if they don't go broody over them. If a bird isn't kosher, neither are its eggs, that is the issue here.

But if, from what I gather, Silkies don't lay all that much anyway, we can keep them as pets without feeling we're missing out on too many eggs. I now believe they are definitely worth keeping as pets and broody mothers. Soon we're planning to hatch some eggs and I'm thinking how great it could be if we had a broody Silkie to do the job for us.

Right now I'm on the look for the perfect Silkies.
big_smile.png
It's winter so things have gone a bit dull in the bird market here, but I'm keeping an eye open. I saw some ads for white Silkies, but personally I'm more attracted to grey, which isn't often found here.

I'm also trying to decide how I'm going to house them. We have an over-exuberant dog who already killed 3 chickens, and although we're doing our best to improve her restraining method, accidents still might happen. So... our Israeli chickens are very good at escaping, and can even do some awesome flying when pressed for it. But Silkies would be utterly helpless. So perhaps we won't free-range them unsupervised like the other chickens.

Of course I wouldn't eat Silkies.
ep.gif
They are too cute! We've never eaten any of our chickens, and I doubt we ever will. But I would eat their eggs if they don't go broody over them. If a bird isn't kosher, neither are its eggs, that is the issue here.

But if, from what I gather, Silkies don't lay all that much anyway, we can keep them as pets without feeling we're missing out on too many eggs. I now believe they are definitely worth keeping as pets and broody mothers. Soon we're planning to hatch some eggs and I'm thinking how great it could be if we had a broody Silkie to do the job for us.

Right now I'm on the look for the perfect Silkies.
big_smile.png
It's winter so things have gone a bit dull in the bird market here, but I'm keeping an eye open. I saw some ads for white Silkies, but personally I'm more attracted to grey, which isn't often found here.

I'm also trying to decide how I'm going to house them. We have an over-exuberant dog who already killed 3 chickens, and although we're doing our best to improve her restraining method, accidents still might happen. So... our Israeli chickens are very good at escaping, and can even do some awesome flying when pressed for it. But Silkies would be utterly helpless. So perhaps we won't free-range them unsupervised like the other chickens.
Silkies won't get away from the dog in time that's for sure.

Do you actually mean grey? They are extremely difficult to locate anywhere. Blue is much more common (and looks grey to the eye). Grey has chinchilla markings.

Silkies won't get away from the dog in time that's for sure.

Do you actually mean grey? They are extremely difficult to locate anywhere. Blue is much more common (and looks grey to the eye). Grey has chinchilla markings.
Then I guess I meant blue.
smile.png
I found an ad for some adorable-looking chicks... unfortunately too far from us to collect. We'll keep looking. From past experience I know that if you keep your eyes open, an opportunity will present itself in due time!

White is the most common color around here, it seems. But I find other colors more attractive.

Then I guess I meant blue.
smile.png
I found an ad for some adorable-looking chicks... unfortunately too far from us to collect. We'll keep looking. From past experience I know that if you keep your eyes open, an opportunity will present itself in due time!

White is the most common color around here, it seems. But I find other colors more attractive.
I'm with you there. White is the most common here as well. I like buffs, blues, partridges, splash, etc. Anything with patterns :)

Back
Top Bottom