The eyes have it

JetCat

Songster
Oct 26, 2015
Southeast Alabama
had one hatched out this afternoon with no eyes. i've had chickens and ducks in the past that were blind that lived long lives but required a cage of their own so we'll see how this little guy does and maybe i won't have to cull it.

The cause of missing eyes can be either high incubator temperature or low oxygen some time from day 1 thru 6 of incubation - or both.

Last edited:
The cause of missing eyes can be either high incubator temperature or low oxygen some time from day 1 thru 6 of incubation - or both.

it's a GQF 1502 at exactly 99.5° with all 4 vents open and it's one chick out of 163 (and more still hatching) so i don't suspect it was either of those that caused it.

Last edited:
Wow!!!!! 163!!! How gorgeous. Would love to see a pic.

We had two hatch last year that were one eyed monsters. Missing eye on one side like yours and the other side had a massive bulging eye. They also had bad cross beaks. Ended up culling them as they couldn't eat or drink on their own. After 3 days of hand feeding with no improvement in independence we decided to cull.

Wow!!!!! 163!!! How gorgeous. Would love to see a pic.

We had two hatch last year that were one eyed monsters. Missing eye on one side like yours and the other side had a massive bulging eye. They also had bad cross beaks. Ended up culling them as they couldn't eat or drink on their own. After 3 days of hand feeding with no improvement in independence we decided to cull.

I"m afraid i'll have to cull this little guy too as he's just not taking to drinking even from a dropper, he's eating good but he's running around so much he's burning more energy then he's making.

the mid size brooder has the 114 that hatched out on Sunday morning,

and in a Rubermade tote are the second wave of 58 and the little guy with no eyes that hatched out Monday, they'll go in the mid size brooder as soon as I recover form the long day i've had!!

got Cal-white and production red chicks in the big brooder......

and I won a dozen Lavender Ameraucanas eggs in the MyPetChicken hatching egg give away last week that are expected tomorrow and a dozen White Ameraucanas expected Thursday so I'm gonna have to work on building more brooder space!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics. How gorgeous they all are. Most we have ever had at one time has been 17 quail and 17 chickens, not at the same time though. We only have a small incubator though, which only fits 24 chicken eggs and supposedly 60-70 quail eggs, but it didn't come with enough dividers to fit that many quail eggs in order to allow for the rolling. Have had up to 56 quail eggs in there though, but had a very poor hatch rate as they were shipped eggs and a lot weren't even fertile.

Thanks for the pics. How gorgeous they all are. Most we have ever had at one time has been 17 quail and 17 chickens, not at the same time though. We only have a small incubator though, which only fits 24 chicken eggs and supposedly 60-70 quail eggs, but it didn't come with enough dividers to fit that many quail eggs in order to allow for the rolling. Have had up to 56 quail eggs in there though, but had a very poor hatch rate as they were shipped eggs and a lot weren't even fertile.

yeah i had a 94% hatch rate on the first batch of eggs (the ones in the mid size brooder), they came from a local guy i gave my peahen to, the second wave were shipped eggs to expand on my blood lines and variety and they were only a 56% hatch rate.

56% is still pretty good for shipped eggs. We have one batch of shipped eggs that were around that hatch rate, but the next two were very low, so wondering if shipped quail eggs don't travel as well as chicken eggs. We had 88% hatch rate from shipped chicken eggs.

You must have been thrilled with 94% hatch rate from the other batch. Most we have had from our own quail eggs is about 85%.

You must have been thrilled with 94% hatch rate from the other batch.

Absolutely!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom