The fight is over....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ZuniBee, Nov 18, 2007.

1. ZuniBee

ZuniBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    My little Blue Orp/Buff Brahma hatched with a problem. The yolk appeared to have been stuck at the bottom of the egg. It didn’t absorb into the chick all the way. The chick has what looks like a red mass hanging from his rear…smaller than a dime. At first it couldn’t even stand up. Now it is standing up although not real good…kind of like its head is heavy. It is peeping and very lively. I’m hoping that the red part will dry up and fall off but I am concerned about the chick not having enough yolk to live off of and to give him energy.

He has such a tremendous will to live. I know many people cull their weak chicks but I couldn’t bring myself to do it to this little guy. He is fighting so hard that I figure I will let him take on the battle and if he makes it that will be good and if he doesn’t then fine.

He has finally started to fluff a little. He still looks exactly like he did when he came out of the egg with just a bit of fluff. I have been giving him three drops of polyvisol every day. Through a syringe I give him yogurt, egg yolk, and water. I have also put some dry food in his mouth and then washed it down with water. He doesn’t like the dry stuff. Every so often he will start peeping real loud until I give him some food and water. Then he seems happy for a few hours. We’ll see, its up to him now.

Well, the little fellow didn't make it. I have been sick and coughing a lot. The chicks are right beside my desk and I guess they are used to hearing me caugh. Last night I woke up at 1:45 with a caughing attack. When I first caughed I heard the little chick peep real loud so I got up and walked to the office to give him some water. He looked very bad. Imaging a chick that had just hatched and was trying to dry. This chick looked exactly like this at almost three days old. He ate, pooped, and stumbled around with the other chicks so I felt I should give him a chance. Anyway, at 1:45 I picked him up and touched his beak with the syringe of water. Rather than open his mouth he just layed down and died in my hand.

Poor little guy. I knew better but tried to give him a chance. But on a more positive note, I have 5 Blue Orp/Buff Brahma's. one Ameraucana, and one tiny Millie Fluer that are doing great!​

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sorry to hear that, Jay. He had a really rough start, though, and you did all you could. Either he was a bit weak to begin with or hatching just took way too much out of him. On the positive side, you have a bunch of little cuties to watch grow up.

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I'm sorry to hear about your little guy. [​IMG]

4. Jemjoop

Jemjoop Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2007
    Caledonia, IL
    sorry about your little one zunibee, he gave it a good try [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007