The first egg;

PanosGR

Songster
Oct 15, 2023
Athens, Greece.
Hello BYC community, my pullet just turned 17 weeks old today and I want to know if she will start laying soon. I am not really sure but I think I saw squatting to me when I was next to her. What do you guys think? Here is the bird take a look:

PS: Please leave your answer below as it helps a lot!
2023-10-29-09-21-06-196.jpg

17 weeks is very early. Hopefully she's at the very very least 20 weeks (but preferably 24) before she starts laying. She definitely looks mature, and since she's squatting, I'd keep the idea of her laying in the back of my mind. From a genetics standpoint, we know she's half ISA brown, and none of my ISA brown have laid before 5 months old. Actually, all but two have laid after turning 6 months old. Don't know if that will apply to this girl

17 weeks is very early. Hopefully she's at the very very least 20 weeks (but preferably 24) before she starts laying. She definitely looks mature, and since she's squatting, I'd keep the idea of her laying in the back of my mind. From a genetics standpoint, we know she's half ISA brown, and none of my ISA brown have laid before 5 months old. Actually, all but two have laid after turning 6 months old. Don't know if that will apply to this girl
I heard that most hens start laying as early as 18 weeks old. Mine has red comb and wattles from an early age, you remember that right? Now its kinda obvious it is a girl because at this age if it was a rooster, we would see all the male characteristics ( Large comb and wattles, large and pointy tail and saddle feathers, heckle feathers and the most important, roosters don't squat. Even the face of the bird and the eyes look very girly. What do you think?

I heard that most hens start laying as early as 18 weeks old. Mine has red comb and wattles from an early age, you remember that right? Now its kinda obvious it is a girl because at this age if it was a rooster, we would see all the male characteristics ( Large comb and wattles, large and pointy tail and saddle feathers, heckle feathers and the most important, roosters don't squat. Even the face of the bird and the eyes look very girly. What do you think?

18 weeks seems WAY too early for me. No LF bird of mine has ever laid before 24 weeks (5 months). Quite a few pullets lay at 20 weeks, but the majority laying at 18 weeks just doesn't sound right. Some will, but it's not the majority. Let's hope yours doesn't start laying too soon. Laying takes a toll on a chicken's body. Starting from such an early age isn't great for a balanced reproductive life

Back
Top Bottom