The Flame Thrower.

Col1948

Songster
Sep 9, 2018
Manchester UK
I was cleaning out the coop this morning and had an idea.
I gave it the normal cleaning the poop boards, swept up etc then I got my flame thrower out.
I't not what you imagine like a massive thing like you see in war movies, but a small hand held with a gas canister attached.
Anyway I went round all the crevices and between all the nicks so if any mites or insects were lurking in there they should be dead lol.
I do use the powder as well but I thought I would give it a blast with this as well.

I do use the powder as well
What powder?
Using pesticides preventatively can create resistance for when you actually need them.

Pic of 'flame thrower'?
Risky business there, hope it's not too close to your house,
and you have a garden hose charged and ready to go.

Like a blow-torch? I've heard of people scorching the coop to get rid of mites; can't imagine how effective it would be, and I'm far too paranoid to consider doing so after spending hours upon hours building the flaming things. I treat with pyrethrum spray every few weeks as a preventative. I mix it up in a knapsack and soak the nooks and crannies.

The wild birds brought mites in earlier this year; got rid of them first go round, but treated weekly for a month just in case.

ETA: In case anyone tries this, I clean out then treat early in the morning, and keep the coop/s shut up until late afternoon to allow it to dry; it is unsafe when still wet. Then I add bedding and let everyone in again.

Last edited:
Think BernzOmatic. Simple little torch for both the handyman and pro. Usually with a small intense flame that will burn a small bug to cinders in an instant. No need to hold the flame to any wood surface for more than a second or two. Good for corners and ...... bugs can't build up a resistance.

Resistance is only an issue where treatment of the problem is repeated with the same product. Preventative treatment does not enhance the risk of resistance forming as the mites are not present, and if they are, are destroyed by the chemical.

The issue of resistance would be in a situation where mites were known to be present, did not die off with the first or second application, and yet were treated again and again with the same product. This is particularly common in worming.

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Apologies; wordplay often falls flat on me when reading rather than hearing.

So are we saying that this little blow-torch won't actually cause any charring to the wood surface? I imagine you'll have to watch the area for a while, particularly if well-ventilated.

Back
Top Bottom