The Fraggles

Pics
Congrats on the first egg, Sean! Hope Chickie Minaj turns out to be a hen but if not you’ll have more space for your run. As for bedding, I’m not sure and have wondered that myself.

Thank you! Unfortunately my mom said no to roosters, and as we’re kind of doing an undercover operation as it is we don’t want any more potential noise. I’ll keep everyone posted (haha) on how the pelleted bedding experiment goes

I use sand in the laying boxes to they love to scratch around before they lay and usualy end up with most shavings kicked out. at least the sand stays put mostly. They love kicking in the sand scratching about. it is going to be awesome this winter when they get closed in alot more I can mix in some scratch or worms to the sand floor and let em go to town scratching up their treats.

I wouldn't worry too much about bedding! The girls will lay in anything and I mean anything! :lol: I had one who liked to lay in the top of their feeder and when my pullets began laying I had to conduct a search party in the woods for all the eggs. (They ended up having a huge nest of leaves filled with eggs)

I currently get a bale of hay and use it for both the floor of the coop and the nest boxes. Seems to work fine! The only thing I'm against is straw because it can splinter and cause bumble foot and also can harbor mites inside the straw (since its hollow). However, other people still prefer straw anways.

Yeah, I don’t like straw and strongly discourage its use for avians in general. But anyway, today we think Chickie laid an egg!!! She’s a keeper!!

Goose laid an egg right before dinner started, and she laid one yesterday, so that’s now four eggs total! I got the cutest video of her sitting on them, but again, I’ve got zero clue on how to post videos for y’all!!

Jsr5, that makes me feel better. I’ll use up the shavings and switch to pellets. Pellets will be easier to clean and there will be less burying of manure and eggs. I’m sure they’ll figure out a way to make the pellets nest like. For now though, Im not gonna mess up their experience while they’re all learning. We’ve got four nest boxes (excessive, I know it’s five hens per box, but it’s built like that) and they all lay in the same one. No one wants to lay on the fake eggs even! Goose started her own nest without a fake egg. I love it!! Chickens are going to be worm free tomorrow. Definitely gonna take a video of them exploding out the door :lau they’ll fly like wild birds for sure. Just wish I could post it somehow!

Good Morning Sean :frow

To post a video, you first have to post it to youtub or vimeo (a video hosting site) and then drop the URL in here under the film button next to the plus sign.

Good afternoon y’all!!

Sorry for a lack of activity, having a real struggle in life but I have huge news! Princess Laya and Goose are sitting on eggs, one of which has internally pipped! I know I know... poor Badonkadonk. Always wanting to be a mama and missed her chance: fear not, she’ll get one! I recently started working for a local farm and fell in love with turkeys as a result. She gave me some of her fertile eggs to hatch, and once the moms shake off the babies, I’ll return them to her farm for her to do as she pleases. We’ve already got names for two of the three eggs. Kermit, because it’s a green egg and Muppet themed. Turkey, because I’ve fallen in love with Turkeys and her momma’s name is Goose, so it’s funny. Turkey hasn’t pipped yet, and Princess’s other egg isn’t quite ready, but Kermit is bursting to get out. She’s creating quite a ruckus. Problem is, I don’t know when she pipped, but it’s been at least six hours with no progress, at least one nap, and lots of chirping and scratching. I’ve made another thread to figure out if it’s a good idea to make a safety hole with a clean needle. Kermit’s air sac is absolutely massive, and she’s very full of energy despite her nap. They’re gonna be a barnyard mix, so very excited to see how they look! Will definitely post pictures and become more active once again!

Back
Top Bottom