The Frankenchicky Diaries (& Derpy)

My experience with special needs chicks is limited, had one EE with curled toes, fixed him up with the tape shoes as well. And one of my EE pullets arrived with a severely crossed beak. Didn't eat and only drank when dipped in the water bowl. Ended up culling her after two days.

Here's hoping your little special chicks make it. We will all be watching for updates here as well. Good luck! <3

I'm wondering if some poly vi sol may help derpy. It seems to help the wry neck chicks. May be worth a shot?

I'm a big mean tough man but I'm not into killing cute little fuzzy baby chicks either. I let nature run it's course but nature never allows any of my abnormal chicks to survive for very long.

Poly-Vi-Sol is a multivitamin supplement for babies (of the human sort lol). It's been useful in chicks, though, for helping with weakness, leg issues, wry neck like Mandy said, etc etc.
I ran to Walmart (ok when I say ran, it's actually 35 minutes one way and my car which is on it's last legs tried to die countless times on me) and picked some up and gave them their first dose. Frankenchicky wouldn't take much but I managed to get probably a full drop down her. Poor Derpy might have some issue with her lungs/crop/internal-tubage..when she drinks water and now with the drops (which she did get 2 drops), she acts like she has trouble breathing afterwards for a few minutes and can't peep/chirp/squeak right (kind of garbled). Hopefully that sorts itself out, but I'm guessing not. Things are not looking bright for little Derpy.

Syringe feeding didn't go well. They hardly got any of their chickyshakes down, though maybe a little. Hopefully it's enough to tide them over for now. They both seem either very tired or very weak now. I'd say the struggle to keep the yucky out of their mouths tuckered them out, but it also may be that their little bodies are starting to wear out. Time will tell. Here's an on-the-spot 1 minute video (and pic) of Frankenchicky taken just minutes ago. You can tell she's either tired or weak; I wish I knew which. She's napping as I write this.
ETA: I've put her back with Derpy to continue with some housework. She was getting quite comfortable being with me and started squeaking when I put her down. I'd been singing to her ("and she is thus labeled 'Crazy Poultry Lady") and it seemed to soothe her, so I put some Enya on Pandora and left the iPod on the "nursery" to sing at them for awhile. LOL. Haven't heard a peep since.

Last edited:
Awww this thread Is precious! I sure hope everything works out for the sweet babes. And God bless you for trying so hard to save them! You have a wonderful heart! I pray the babes grow stronger every day. You are a amazing person!

Back
Top Bottom