The Fricken Chicken story!

Pics
Babies didn't freeze last night but my god what a morning I had....

Let my chickens out in their run around 7am
Next are my dogs. One at a time. Usually Dozer, then Capone, last is Shelby. Thankfully Shelby took her turn first, and Capone went out last. Capone was outside tied up. I'm sitting on the couch drinking my morning coffee. I seen a dump truck drive down the road. Didn’t think much of it. Then I seen 2 huge dogs run through the front yard. I instantly think about Capone out back. So I go out, he is barking out back. Then..... I see the dogs, the one is trying to jump my fence to get my chickens (thankful for the horse fence on my bottom section and the extra 4 foot of chicken wire above) while the other is on the opposite side trying to get the chickens trying to fly out.... I run out in my bed clothes grab the closest thing handy, ol faithful, beaver stick. While trying to chase these 2 dogs, screaming "BAD DOGS" "GO HOME" "BAD MF DOGS...." Here comes the dump truck back up the road (my road dead ends couple houses down) the driver is legit letting his dogs run for exercise while he follows them. Only thing he did was try to yell for them. I got them away from my chickens, only for them to turn their attention to Capone. Finally this guy goes to get out, clearly see me screaming at his dogs. I told him to get his dogs and keep them tied, that they are trying to attack my chickens and dog that is TIED UP... Come to find out, his GSD that was attempting to eat my chickens. Has been trained for protection, and he failed to make the cut, because of a vicious temperament. Why is this "work of art" running loose is beyond me. I am going to personally, politely inform the owner. I will NOT tolerate them back here, unless they are on a leash being walked. My whole flock would of been dead if I didn't instinctively run out there to check on my dog. They would of did serious damage to Capone too. Shelby would of turned devil and snapped the cable to attack those dogs. She is just ruthless like that, that would of lead to a huge dog fight, I would never of been able to break up.

Thankfully! My flock is a little spooked, but generally unharmed. Falkor is missing a few feathers from attacking the fence trying to ward off the dogs, but that's all.
20201009_104729.jpg
20201009_104709.jpg
20201009_104644.jpg

I try my hardest to keep my dogs tied up, and on leashes. Having 2 pit bull type dogs, I try to be a responsible owner. When they do get loose, they go straight to my moms house, and I am right on their tail chasing them down. The only time I leave them run, is in the woods, soon as we get close to places they go back on leashes. 99% of people up here own dogs, but the majority keep them contained. Not running a muck wrecking havoc. I hate irresponsible dog owners, it makes me feel bad for the dogs. The poor dogs will end up paying the price, for his irresponsible ownership.

Babies didn't freeze last night but my god what a morning I had....

Let my chickens out in their run around 7am
Next are my dogs. One at a time. Usually Dozer, then Capone, last is Shelby. Thankfully Shelby took her turn first, and Capone went out last. Capone was outside tied up. I'm sitting on the couch drinking my morning coffee. I seen a dump truck drive down the road. Didn’t think much of it. Then I seen 2 huge dogs run through the front yard. I instantly think about Capone out back. So I go out, he is barking out back. Then..... I see the dogs, the one is trying to jump my fence to get my chickens (thankful for the horse fence on my bottom section and the extra 4 foot of chicken wire above) while the other is on the opposite side trying to get the chickens trying to fly out.... I run out in my bed clothes grab the closest thing handy, ol faithful, beaver stick. While trying to chase these 2 dogs, screaming "BAD DOGS" "GO HOME" "BAD MF DOGS...." Here comes the dump truck back up the road (my road dead ends couple houses down) the driver is legit letting his dogs run for exercise while he follows them. Only thing he did was try to yell for them. I got them away from my chickens, only for them to turn their attention to Capone. Finally this guy goes to get out, clearly see me screaming at his dogs. I told him to get his dogs and keep them tied, that they are trying to attack my chickens and dog that is TIED UP... Come to find out, his GSD that was attempting to eat my chickens. Has been trained for protection, and he failed to make the cut, because of a vicious temperament. Why is this "work of art" running loose is beyond me. I am going to personally, politely inform the owner. I will NOT tolerate them back here, unless they are on a leash being walked. My whole flock would of been dead if I didn't instinctively run out there to check on my dog. They would of did serious damage to Capone too. Shelby would of turned devil and snapped the cable to attack those dogs. She is just ruthless like that, that would of lead to a huge dog fight, I would never of been able to break up.

Thankfully! My flock is a little spooked, but generally unharmed. Falkor is missing a few feathers from attacking the fence trying to ward off the dogs, but that's all. View attachment 2366267View attachment 2366268View attachment 2366270
I try my hardest to keep my dogs tied up, and on leashes. Having 2 pit bull type dogs, I try to be a responsible owner. When they do get loose, they go straight to my moms house, and I am right on their tail chasing them down. The only time I leave them run, is in the woods, soon as we get close to places they go back on leashes. 99% of people up here own dogs, but the majority keep them contained. Not running a muck wrecking havoc. I hate irresponsible dog owners, it makes me feel bad for the dogs. The poor dogs will end up paying the price, for his irresponsible ownership.
Dogs! :rant:mad: I hear so many scary stories about dogs running free. It is always bad owners that lead to bad dogs and tragic events. Thankfully you were there to defend everyone. I am scared to think of what might have happened had you not been.

I do want to tip my hat to Falkor. He was willing to do what a great rooster always does, attack to defend his flock even if there is little chance of his own survival. He deserves extra mealy worms tonight. :clap

Dogs! :rant:mad: I hear so many scary stories about dogs running free. It is always bad owners that lead to bad dogs and tragic events. Thankfully you were there to defend everyone. I am scared to think of what might have happened had you not been.

I do want to tip my hat to Falkor. He was willing to do what a great rooster always does, attack to defend his flock even if there is little chance of his own survival. He deserves extra mealy worms tonight. :clap
That is why he gets a free pass from the soup pot. :lol: He will defend his flock, even if it is certain death.
The way the black dog was trying his hardest. I bet, I would of found a black dog stuck in my run with a flock of mauled chickens.... it took a few good whacks with a my walking stick to get him to give up my chicken. The other dog ran from me, he knew he was in trouble when "BAD DOOOGGGGG" come out my mouth. :lau:idunno had to tell enough dogs they are bad dogs. I got the mean voice down lol 😆 gezz though talk about a morning fiasco.....

So I started tearing down my garden fence today. I'm going to build the silkies their own run beside the main coop. I'll post pictures of it later. Nothing fancy, just some T-post and chicken wire, for now. I just want to keep them in, when needed. It's probably 15ft x 20ft, or bigger? But will be a nice little extension for them!

Quick and easy 10 x 20ft run! I just squared it up to my run for the main coop. Since it has been a week since they had no symptoms. They got to see each other through the fence. I took advantage of the redbud tree there. It makes for great shade, and the chickens love to dust bath under there. Lots of work going to be done in the main coop. Over the next few months. Working on back filling around the coop, so no more coon access underneath it. I lost one of my brahma the other day, found the feather pile under there. 😑 My nephew who is 11 yrs old, helped me put the fence up, asked me "Aunt Megan, what are you doing building Eggland's best down here?" :lol::idunno No.... just reinforcing The Fricken Chicken Fortress, it's better than Eggland best, its Megsland Best!🤣🤣
20201010_162525.jpg

Quick and easy 10 x 20ft run! I just squared it up to my run for the main coop. Since it has been a week since they had no symptoms. They got to see each other through the fence. I took advantage of the redbud tree there. It makes for great shade, and the chickens love to dust bath under there. Lots of work going to be done in the main coop. Over the next few months. Working on back filling around the coop, so no more coon access underneath it. I lost one of my brahma the other day, found the feather pile under there. 😑 My nephew who is 11 yrs old, helped me put the fence up, asked me "Aunt Megan, what are you doing building Eggland's best down here?" :lol::idunno No.... just reinforcing The Fricken Chicken Fortress, it's better than Eggland best, its Megsland Best!🤣🤣
View attachment 2368076
Coop and run work is never done. This looks very good for a quick build. You are quite handy. :clap

Back
Top Bottom