The fridge life of chicken stock?

Mom2Cool

Crowing
15 Years
May 8, 2008
Hi all I thought it might be better to start a new thread with my question & so I'm repeating from the chicken stock thread.

I have a broth/stock question. In a slow cooker, I cooked what was left on an already cooked chicken carcase about 2 weeks ago & I got about 3 containers out of it. I put 2 containers in the freezer & 1 in the fridge, but since then I just had not had the opportunity to use the jar that is in the fridge, would that still be ok to us or would it already be spoiled? I hate to toss it but thought I should check with others on the shelf life (or fridge life) of the broth?

Quote:
Mom...,
You say in a jar. Does that mean it was canned? If it's canned I would think it's OK.
But I think you truly mean it is in a jar, in the fridge. In that case It is a perishable item, 3 days max. The potential consequence is just not worth it. Sorry and Good luck

Imp

Hi Imp np I asked because I wasn't sure but it's not like I've never cooked & I understand the stock would be the same as left over meat. Hubby said "no" but in reality I already knew better. & no it had not been a sealed jar. I'd kept it in the fridge at the time with the intention of using it the following day & then for 1 reason or another I just never had the opportunity to do so. Anyway thanks for the answer I appreciate it.

I say 7 days in the fridge, but still, you are way over. I am so frugal. The stock is old, so I wouldn't eat it, but I would boil it with some rice & feed it to the dog.
hide.gif

Quote:
You're right Chickenmaven. Longer is probably OK in most circumstances. I work in the food service industry and 3 days is a common standard for item that are perishable (protein). There are exceptions like dairy product that are dated by the manfacturer. And recooking to 165*F is a great way to kill any virus or bacteria present in food, although it is not completely foolproof. I will let some things go 4-5 days at home also.

BTW I like your user name. It just sounds so right.

Imp-If in doubt, throw it out

yes I agree with you both really & it would be my instinct to use it in the same way I would left over chicken/turkey & I would do that up until a week or maybe say 5 days. I need to stop 2nd guessing myself & just do what I know is right. It's just not worth getting ill over.

Back
Top Bottom