Freeze dried chicken feed???

Pics

SmallTownChicken

In the Brooder
Feb 14, 2024
Hi new here. I have had chickens a little over 3 years now and was looking into ways of storing feed for if supply runs low. I was wondering if anyone has tried freeze drying feed (since it doesn't pull out as much nutrition) then vacuum sealing it into containers? I'm thinking freeze drying might have a similar affect like putting it in the freeze to kill and bacteria and then sealing it without air to make it shelf stable. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

What kind of feed do you use...pellets, crumble, cracked grains???
Pellets and crumble is already pretty dry.
How will you know if it actually 'preserves' all the nutrients long term?

What kind of feed do you use...pellets, crumble, cracked grains???
Pellets and crumble is already pretty dry.
How will you know if it actually 'preserves' all the nutrients long term?
Good question but if it 'preserves' it in food for humans why not chicken food. And it would mostly take out any remaining water and make it so it wouldn't mold in jars. I'm thinking I might try all of them. I currently use pellets as my chickens are old enough to not need crumble now.

I do have one. I might test to see if this happens
If you do try it, please post and let us know the results! I'm thinking of buying a FD, and was wondering about this myself. I use Kalmbach Layer mini-pellets for my girls. Since it is already a dry food, I wouldn't think freeze-drying would cause it to lose much in the way of weight due to moisture. But I also am wondering if it would turn to dust, as another poster mentioned that possibility. And if, after freeze drying, it doesn't turn to dust, is would it be 'too' dry to feed the girls? Inquiring minds want to know! Thank you!

Hi new here. I have had chickens a little over 3 years now and was looking into ways of storing feed for if supply runs low. I was wondering if anyone has tried freeze drying feed (since it doesn't pull out as much nutrition) then vacuum sealing it into containers? I'm thinking freeze drying might have a similar affect like putting it in the freeze to kill and bacteria and then sealing it without air to make it shelf stable. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
I always throw my macaw parrot pellets in the freezer in the same bag they come in for a few days to try reduce the pantry months or whatever else. They don't change a bit. It doesn't kill every pantry moth though for some reason, so I use FG DE in their cages to keep them and the danged fruit flies gone.

I've thrown Kalmbach's Henhouse Reserve in the freezer too, and that didn't change it. That I mix with grains like wheat, oats, a little flax, very little chia seeds and ferment it one quart a day or every other. They get Kalmbach's layer crumbles for feed.

I always throw my macaw parrot pellets in the freezer in the same bag they come in for a few days to try reduce the pantry months or whatever else. They don't change a bit. It doesn't kill every pantry moth though for some reason, so I use FG DE in their cages to keep them and the danged fruit flies gone.

I've thrown Kalmbach's Henhouse Reserve in the freezer too, and that didn't change it. That I mix with grains like wheat, oats, a little flax, very little chia seeds and ferment it one quart a day or every other. They get Kalmbach's layer crumbles for feed.
Freezing isn't exactly freeze drying even if freezer does dry things out in time it's not even close to same thing.

If you do try it, please post and let us know the results! I'm thinking of buying a FD, and was wondering about this myself. I use Kalmbach Layer mini-pellets for my girls. Since it is already a dry food, I wouldn't think freeze-drying would cause it to lose much in the way of weight due to moisture. But I also am wondering if it would turn to dust, as another poster mentioned that possibility. And if, after freeze drying, it doesn't turn to dust, is would it be 'too' dry to feed the girls? Inquiring minds want to know! Thank you!
I will definitely keep everyone updated on the results with pictures. But it does get "too dry" one can always add water and turn it into mush for feeding or fermentation .

Freezing isn't exactly freeze drying even if freezer does dry things out in time it's not even close to same thing.
True. Just saying what I do but I suppose that's a given that everyone knows. I though that would be sufficient but I suppose freeze-drying would be nice too. I don't see why not though if someone's got the stuff to do it.

Back
Top Bottom