The Front Porch Swing

Wow, only 12 pages today while I was at work ...
th.gif

Blooie - glad you decided against putting a window in that north wall. I understand the winds in Wyoming and I was worried for you - our garage door in on the north side and I get very tired of shoveling out the garage all winter. Sorry Bee, but it isn't as easy as just hanging up some plastic over it. One year we covered our wood pile with a tarp - it was shredded within 2 months and we had it staked down tight - no flapping until it ripped in half.

Welcome, Mcrowe!

Bee, looking forward to hearing of your success with hatching.

Deb, working a forge sounds like a lot of work, but pretty neat too. DH and I watched a show about a guy who tried to replicate the process that was most likely used to create the Viking broadswords. It was a really neat process.
As a girl I had to use a smaller hammer and work a bit more to get the same results. Every time you strike the metal you are hardening it a bit. It was very rewarding to take a straight bar and turn it into a horse shoe.... I only got the heels cut I didnt have time to do the nail holes. I couldnt do it again if my life depended on it.

deb

Back when I was about 23 I took a horse shoeing class from my farrier....  My favorite part of that class was forging my own shoes.    I sitll have them.  havent rusted yet.   But like with the welding You have to have your own tools to practice with or you loose it all.... sigh... I too knew how to weld once.

deb

Umm color me stupid but, what's a forge?
Mel

Quote: Oh not stupid..... a forge is a Hearth used for heating metals. A very very hot Hearth. The one I was working with only had space enough to heat up bar stock steel for horse shoes. But there are some huge ones out there for doing wrought iron and all sort of metal working.

You can even weld on a forge.... its a pretty cool process.

deb

Do you guys still love me? I'm afraid I got off on another tangent in another forum. I'm gonna get my butt tossed off BYC yet! I gotta learn not to let these people get to me! <sigh>

Some double yolker - but stupid question - how do you know it's a double until you open it? I'm not being a smart alec...I really want to know how you tell so when my girls start laying I'll know. I saw a lady on You-tube "deliver" twin chicks. Amazing!

Perchie, that spot for the deck sounds just lovely! You wrote about it so beautifully I could see it! And someday I'm going to visit Bee and listen to the peepers.

Think I'll mosey over to the corner for a bit. I'm still kinda upset about the other forum - more with myself for getting sucked in than for what was said by the other person, if I were to tell the truth. But honestly, I was so angry I was in tears, and over what? A silly, two paragraph dissertation on people like me making life unfair for "responsible" people. Oh, well. Next time I'll come here and vent instead of making myself look foolish. Then if you say, "Go get her" - I will!

Deb,
A beautiful description. I remember staying at our friend's home in El Cajon, and sitting on the rocks. Soaking up the heat of the day and listening to the early evening sounds. You are closer to the border than they were. I have spent many years traveling Baja. Probably wouldn't do it now. How different our ideas of paradise are, but still so similar. For me now it is the spring peepers, the hoot owl on summer evenings, the coyote song, the underlying song of the woods. Peace for our souls.

Do you guys still love me? I'm afraid I got off on another tangent in another forum. I'm gonna get my butt tossed off BYC yet! I gotta learn not to let these people get to me! <sigh>

Some double yolker - but stupid question - how do you know it's a double until you open it? I'm not being a smart alec...I really want to know how you tell so when my girls start laying I'll know. I saw a lady on You-tube "deliver" twin chicks. Amazing!

Perchie, that spot for the deck sounds just lovely! You wrote about it so beautifully I could see it! And someday I'm going to visit Bee and listen to the peepers.

Think I'll mosey over to the corner for a bit. I'm still kinda upset about the other forum - more with myself for getting sucked in than for what was said by the other person, if I were to tell the truth. But honestly, I was so angry I was in tears, and over what? A silly, two paragraph dissertation on people like me making life unfair for "responsible" people. Oh, well. Next time I'll come here and vent instead of making myself look foolish. Then if you say, "Go get her" - I will!
Double yolkers are approximately twice the size of a normal egg. the shell mechanism just messes up now and then. Often times you will get double yolker in the grocery store from the XX large eggsies. Those will have come from older hens.

Thumbing my nose..... Let me at em.... fast foot shuffle.... I will squish them with my squishie feet.... then fall on em till they say Uncle....

deb

Last edited:
I'll describe the night from The Front Porch Swing...it's warm and soft out there right now. The spring peepers are singing down in the holler and every star in the sky is shining, as well as a beautiful sliver moon. It smells like spring..like damp earth and hope. The soft murmur of conversation and the occasional giggle adds to the music of the night as the wind chimes tinkle in time.

The tea is sweet and the night even sweeter!

Thanks for painting a beautiful picture of hope for those of us in the frozen north! My butt is numb from sitting on a 5-gallon pail in the corner of the porch for 3 solid hours trying to catch up on all that's been happening on this porch. This working full time sure cuts into my time on BYC! So many people struggling with sickness and unkind weather. I'm praying for you. My hubby is sick now too. Sure hope he feels better soon - and doesn't share!!
The weather people are promising warmer weather - always starting next week :). Yesterday morning on my way to work it was -10F. Today it warmed up to 20F, so it's going the right direction! I can hardly wait for that damp smell of spring! My broody hen is sitting on 8 eggs now. So here's hoping.... Had to cull a hen on the weekend. Wouldn't stop picking on the other chickens. Put a second one in rehab/isolation with a stern warning that if her attitude doesn't do a 180 in a week, she'll be following the other hen.... The flock is so much more peaceful and happy. Shouldn't have waited as long as I did to get rid of that one.
Wishing you all a good week! Time for me to head to bed. Thanks for the tea and the stories!

Love you???? We LURV you and that's even better....means we lurv yer guts too.
lol.png
hugs.gif
What was the topic of your other forum discussion and I'll see if we can't guess the contention.
big_smile.png

Sometimes rubbing elbows with the world on these forums produces levels of frustration that I normally do not allow in my life and that is when I have to remove myself from the whole thing for a couple of days until I can get it all into perspective again. You did the smart thing by retreating and decompressing because it's just not worth it and life is too short to waste it on such folks and things.

You can usually tell a double yolker by the size of the egg.....not too often you'll get a really huge egg and it will only have a single yolk in it. I've had big eggs with 3 and 4 yolks in them...but usually it's a double.

Love you???? We LURV you and that's even better....means we lurv yer guts too.
lol.png
hugs.gif
What was the topic of your other forum discussion and I'll see if we can't guess the contention.
big_smile.png

Sometimes rubbing elbows with the world on these forums produces levels of frustration that I normally do not allow in my life and that is when I have to remove myself from the whole thing for a couple of days until I can get it all into perspective again. You did the smart thing by retreating and decompressing because it's just not worth it and life is too short to waste it on such folks and things.

You can usually tell a double yolker by the size of the egg.....not too often you'll get a really huge egg and it will only have a single yolk in it. I've had big eggs with 3 and 4 yolks in them...but usually it's a double.
Oh, don't pay any mind to me.....I guess you all have spoiled me - we can say pretty much anything here and nobody judges another based on habits, or appearance, or differing points of view.

So if my girls lay biiiiigggg eggs, I can assume there's two little yeller balls inside? How cool is that!

Oh, don't pay any mind to me.....I guess you all have spoiled me - we can say pretty much anything here and nobody judges another based on habits, or appearance, or differing points of view.

So if my girls lay biiiiigggg eggs, I can assume there's two little yeller balls inside? How cool is that!

Most of my doubles are really pointy at both ends. I can almost always tell. I have a customer that Loves double yolkers so when new girls start laying, I set those aside for her.

Back
Top Bottom