The Front Porch Swing

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Beekissed, Jan 23, 2014.

1. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

As a girl I had to use a smaller hammer and work a bit more to get the same results. Every time you strike the metal you are hardening it a bit. It was very rewarding to take a straight bar and turn it into a horse shoe.... I only got the heels cut I didnt have time to do the nail holes. I couldnt do it again if my life depended on it.

deb

2. lovingmyhens

lovingmyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2013
    Katy, tx

Umm color me stupid but, what's a forge?
    Mel

3. perchie.girl

4. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Do you guys still love me? I'm afraid I got off on another tangent in another forum. I'm gonna get my butt tossed off BYC yet! I gotta learn not to let these people get to me! <sigh>

Some double yolker - but stupid question - how do you know it's a double until you open it? I'm not being a smart alec...I really want to know how you tell so when my girls start laying I'll know. I saw a lady on You-tube "deliver" twin chicks. Amazing!

Perchie, that spot for the deck sounds just lovely! You wrote about it so beautifully I could see it! And someday I'm going to visit Bee and listen to the peepers.

Think I'll mosey over to the corner for a bit. I'm still kinda upset about the other forum - more with myself for getting sucked in than for what was said by the other person, if I were to tell the truth. But honestly, I was so angry I was in tears, and over what? A silly, two paragraph dissertation on people like me making life unfair for "responsible" people. Oh, well. Next time I'll come here and vent instead of making myself look foolish. Then if you say, "Go get her" - I will!

5. rrrmamma

rrrmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    New Concord,Ohio
    Deb,
    A beautiful description. I remember staying at our friend's home in El Cajon, and sitting on the rocks. Soaking up the heat of the day and listening to the early evening sounds. You are closer to the border than they were. I have spent many years traveling Baja. Probably wouldn't do it now. How different our ideas of paradise are, but still so similar. For me now it is the spring peepers, the hoot owl on summer evenings, the coyote song, the underlying song of the woods. Peace for our souls.

6. perchie.girl

Double yolkers are approximately twice the size of a normal egg. the shell mechanism just messes up now and then. Often times you will get double yolker in the grocery store from the XX large eggsies. Those will have come from older hens.

Thumbing my nose..... Let me at em.... fast foot shuffle.... I will squish them with my squishie feet.... then fall on em till they say Uncle....

deb

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  7. PrairieChicks

PrairieChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2013
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Thanks for painting a beautiful picture of hope for those of us in the frozen north! My butt is numb from sitting on a 5-gallon pail in the corner of the porch for 3 solid hours trying to catch up on all that's been happening on this porch. This working full time sure cuts into my time on BYC! So many people struggling with sickness and unkind weather. I'm praying for you. My hubby is sick now too. Sure hope he feels better soon - and doesn't share!!
    The weather people are promising warmer weather - always starting next week :). Yesterday morning on my way to work it was -10F. Today it warmed up to 20F, so it's going the right direction! I can hardly wait for that damp smell of spring! My broody hen is sitting on 8 eggs now. So here's hoping.... Had to cull a hen on the weekend. Wouldn't stop picking on the other chickens. Put a second one in rehab/isolation with a stern warning that if her attitude doesn't do a 180 in a week, she'll be following the other hen.... The flock is so much more peaceful and happy. Shouldn't have waited as long as I did to get rid of that one.
    Wishing you all a good week! Time for me to head to bed. Thanks for the tea and the stories!

1 person likes this.
  8. Beekissed

Beekissed Flock Master

Love you???? We LURV you and that's even better....means we lurv yer guts too. [​IMG] [​IMG] What was the topic of your other forum discussion and I'll see if we can't guess the contention. [​IMG]
    Sometimes rubbing elbows with the world on these forums produces levels of frustration that I normally do not allow in my life and that is when I have to remove myself from the whole thing for a couple of days until I can get it all into perspective again. You did the smart thing by retreating and decompressing because it's just not worth it and life is too short to waste it on such folks and things.

You can usually tell a double yolker by the size of the egg.....not too often you'll get a really huge egg and it will only have a single yolk in it. I've had big eggs with 3 and 4 yolks in them...but usually it's a double.

9. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Oh, don't pay any mind to me.....I guess you all have spoiled me - we can say pretty much anything here and nobody judges another based on habits, or appearance, or differing points of view.

So if my girls lay biiiiigggg eggs, I can assume there's two little yeller balls inside? How cool is that!

10. rrrmamma

rrrmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    New Concord,Ohio
    Most of my doubles are really pointy at both ends. I can almost always tell. I have a customer that Loves double yolkers so when new girls start laying, I set those aside for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by