The Front Porch Swing

now thats a very
yuckyuck.gif

Yeah ... fingers crossed no botulism. But
lau.gif
Violet is massively independent. She is one of our three die-hard free rangers. They've all recently moved from their former low coop into the abandoned cockerel colony coop, probably because the roost is higher in there. We are only here to serve them.

Bee, The tag on the key said ... "ROOT CELLAR".

Exploring the buildings was so cool. The outside door for the root cellar is pretty worn and falling apart. The inside door - at the bottom of the steps - is in really good shape. It has a 8' ceiling and I think it is insulated in the attic. I want to stick a thermometer in there to record the temps long term and see how well it holds temp.

The "Pig Barn" was a pleasant surprise. I'm not sure it was for pigs or not, but that is all I can think of for it, unless they had sheep in there. We were discussing taking the building down to build a two car garage, since DH is turning 2/3 of the 3 car garage into his woodshop. (the building behind in the first picture) 1/3 of this building is already a shop area, 1/3 has an old tri-fold garage door that is too narrow for a standard garage door, and the last third has a standard garage door for actually parking a car in! From the outside, the pig barn looks like it is ready to fall down. But they have fixed it up some inside, they even sistered boards in the rafters, and it has a metal roof. And is actually in pretty good shape.

It is only about 4'6" at the outside walls. But, it is a step down into the barn, and is probably 7-8 foot at the center. Nice concrete floors.

I am trying to talk DH into saving 1/2 of the building. The far end would make a great chicken coop area, and maybe keep a stall or two as a place for sheep to keep the pasture mowed down.
You can see 3 1/2 of the stalls in the second photo, there are 6 total, I think. Maybe you can see in the stall in the next photo.

What a cool place! If the building are sound I'd not tear down a one....could be you'll find uses for them. I can only dream of having all that space for housing livestock!

Root Cellar!!!
celebrate.gif
SCORE! Measure the humidity while you are at it and it can tell you how successfully you'll be able to store root and fruit crops. What a bonus!

Yay!!!! We finally caught something in one of the raccoon traps!!!!!!

Unfortunately, it was Violet, our Queen Easter Egger. She made herself at home while she awaited rescue ... ate a little road kill and laid a nice green egg.
lol.png

lol.png
Good catch!

Guess what folks? My best friend out there in the world just sent me a Brinsea Eco incubator, 20 egg, for my birthday!
th.gif
th.gif
th.gif
I love that girl like a sister...no, closer than a sister!
love.gif
I don't know that I've ever had a friend as good as she...scratch that...I KNOW I've never had a friend that good to me, in my whole life. This isn't the only good thing she has done and continually does for me and my mind is just overwhelmed at such kindness from someone I've never even met. I thank God for her every day and can't believe He sent me someone like this in my life. I met her right here on BYC....my bestie, LOVEIGEE! Shout out to my dear sister, Sue!!!

Anyone else out there have a friend like that you want to honor and celebrate? Let it OUT!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
woot.gif

Bee, The tag on the key said ... "ROOT CELLAR". Exploring the buildings was so cool. The outside door for the root cellar is pretty worn and falling apart. The inside door - at the bottom of the steps - is in really good shape. It has a 8' ceiling and I think it is insulated in the attic. I want to stick a thermometer in there to record the temps long term and see how well it holds temp. The "Pig Barn" was a pleasant surprise. I'm not sure it was for pigs or not, but that is all I can think of for it, unless they had sheep in there. We were discussing taking the building down to build a two car garage, since DH is turning 2/3 of the 3 car garage into his woodshop. (the building behind in the first picture) 1/3 of this building is already a shop area, 1/3 has an old tri-fold garage door that is too narrow for a standard garage door, and the last third has a standard garage door for actually parking a car in! From the outside, the pig barn looks like it is ready to fall down. But they have fixed it up some inside, they even sistered boards in the rafters, and it has a metal roof. And is actually in pretty good shape. It is only about 4'6" at the outside walls. But, it is a step down into the barn, and is probably 7-8 foot at the center. Nice concrete floors. I am trying to talk DH into saving 1/2 of the building. The far end would make a great chicken coop area, and maybe keep a stall or two as a place for sheep to keep the pasture mowed down. You can see 3 1/2 of the stalls in the second photo, there are 6 total, I think. Maybe you can see in the stall in the next photo.
I love old farm buildings. All that character, all that loving labour, all that WOOD!

Bee, The tag on the key said ... "ROOT CELLAR".

Exploring the buildings was so cool. The outside door for the root cellar is pretty worn and falling apart. The inside door - at the bottom of the steps - is in really good shape. It has a 8' ceiling and I think it is insulated in the attic. I want to stick a thermometer in there to record the temps long term and see how well it holds temp.

The "Pig Barn" was a pleasant surprise. I'm not sure it was for pigs or not, but that is all I can think of for it, unless they had sheep in there. We were discussing taking the building down to build a two car garage, since DH is turning 2/3 of the 3 car garage into his woodshop. (the building behind in the first picture) 1/3 of this building is already a shop area, 1/3 has an old tri-fold garage door that is too narrow for a standard garage door, and the last third has a standard garage door for actually parking a car in! From the outside, the pig barn looks like it is ready to fall down. But they have fixed it up some inside, they even sistered boards in the rafters, and it has a metal roof. And is actually in pretty good shape.

It is only about 4'6" at the outside walls. But, it is a step down into the barn, and is probably 7-8 foot at the center. Nice concrete floors.

I am trying to talk DH into saving 1/2 of the building. The far end would make a great chicken coop area, and maybe keep a stall or two as a place for sheep to keep the pasture mowed down.
You can see 3 1/2 of the stalls in the second photo, there are 6 total, I think. Maybe you can see in the stall in the next photo.
Love the buildings! So happy for you. I wouldn't tear anything down for a while. It is amazing what you use everything for. Congrats on the Root Cellar!!

Yay!!!! We finally caught something in one of the raccoon traps!!!!!!

Unfortunately, it was Violet, our Queen Easter Egger. She made herself at home while she awaited rescue ... ate a little road kill and laid a nice green egg.
lol.png
Maybe you should put a sign on the front 'Coons only' or 'No Chickens Allowed'.

Lisa :)

Now, that's just cute!! A sheep dog and his sheep.....

I love old farm buildings. All that character, all that loving labour, all that WOOD!

That's what I see when I see old buildings like this.....just all that history, the wanting and planning of people long ago and the quality of the wood used is something we just can't get any longer. Not without offering up our first born and getting it from a specialty place.

Guess what folks? My best friend out there in the world just sent me a Brinsea Eco incubator, 20 egg, for my birthday!
th.gif
th.gif
th.gif
I love that girl like a sister...no, closer than a sister!
love.gif
I don't know that I've ever had a friend as good as she...scratch that...I KNOW I've never had a friend that good to me, in my whole life. This isn't the only good thing she has done and continually does for me and my mind is just overwhelmed at such kindness from someone I've never even met. I thank God for her every day and can't believe He sent me someone like this in my life. I met her right here on BYC....my bestie, LOVEIGEE! Shout out to my dear sister, Sue!!!

Anyone else out there have a friend like that you want to honor and celebrate? Let it OUT!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
woot.gif
Yes I do! This girl from GA.. has the bestest friend in the whole world! And the Lord gave her to me.........
hugs.gif
love.gif
clap.gif
Praise the Lord!

I agree, I wouldn't tear down one single building. I also have a thing for old buildings. I look at them and daydream about all that went into the building of it and all the work that was done under its roof. And most of all I think about the people who built it and worked around and inside it. I should have been born 150 years ago. LOL

Back
Top Bottom