The Garden Coop - with modifications

May 26, 2018
Lafayette, La
So I am bought the plans for the below coop, and I plan on building it with some mild modifications to handle the southern heat.

1635088453556.png

Just some details about my future flock and size of this as pictures are deceiving. The henhouse is 35 sqft and the run is 102 sqft, with the ability to add additional run on the right side.

I plan on having 12 chickens.

The modifications I plan on making.
The front panels open for maintenance. I wanted to do more of an open air design and cut holes in the panels (with added hardware cloth) to provide more ventilation.
  1. Front Panels of Henhouse - Cut two windows into panels to provide more ventilation and provide more of an open air design. Added hardware cloth on the windows for additional protection.
  2. Roof - Roof calls for a corrugated polycarbonate roof panel, I would like to use a galvanized steel roof to protect from the hot sun of Louisiana.
  3. Roof of henhouse - Instead of a closed in space, I want to make the roof of the henhouse hardware cloth to provide even more ventilation. The henhouse will be covered by the galvanized steel.
Does anyone see anything wrong with this build and/or provide some suggestions?

P.S - The gals will be let out into the yard to roam as frequently as possible.

Very good option, just was confused about not wanting drafts in the coop. So figured some open windows would help. Was also thinking another layer of protections against predators if I had an automated shutting coop door.

Very good option, just was confused about not wanting drafts in the coop. So figured some open windows would help. Was also thinking another layer of protections against predators if I had an automated shutting coop door.

For those of us who see more 100F days than 15F days this isn't so big an issue. Heat is the killer for the southern states and a breeze on the roost is good for those months when the night temps don't drop below 70F.

For a crazy cold snap we can add some extra wind-block if necessary. I have a place planned where I can staple a tarp to add extra protection to the roosting space if I need to in an extreme storm.

Yes, the wire is a bit more vulnerable than a solid wall. That's a trade-off I've chosen to make. I intend to eventually add some hot-wires around the coop to make it more secure.

For those of us who see more 100F days than 15F days this isn't so big an issue. Heat is the killer for the southern states and a breeze on the roost is good for those months when the night temps don't drop below 70F.

For a crazy cold snap we can add some extra wind-block if necessary. I have a place planned where I can staple a tarp to add extra protection to the roosting space if I need to in an extreme storm.

Yes, the wire is a bit more vulnerable than a solid wall. That's a trade-off I've chosen to make. I intend to eventually add some hot-wires around the coop to make it more secure.

Thanks for the advice, I might build the doors and just keep them off for now!

I'd scale up the plans if possible - both coop and run (as-is, without addition) are small for 12, especially if you plan on growing the flock over time instead of getting all the birds at once. If you can increase it by 50%, that'll be a better space for the number of birds you want to keep.

I've seen others with this same coop plan and the roof of the coop being open is apparently a normal or recommended feature, so ammonia laden warm air can rise and exit the coop area at night.

When I lived in Florida my chickens were in a strong enclosed pen with a rubbermaid tub on it's side for nest and laying eggs. I had a large coop but the doors were left open. I never worried about the cold, they were fine. If you use a coop I would make it very open air and use hardware cloth. Like yours. They get very hot inside in the summer. I also hung a good fan in there. I think in hot climates we have a different set of problems than those with cold winters. I love your coop! It's so open!

If you think your coop is on the small side for the amount of your chickens I think I would go for a bigger totally enclosed yard - varmit proof. But with the openess of your coop it may be okay for nights. IMO, of course. I have 18 chickens in a 8 x 12 foot coop (previous owner), I lock them in when it's cold (30-10 degrees) , and silly me they have a heater and also a water heater. I live in Indiana now. My pen is 16 x 16 feet-totally enclosed. It was easier in the south. I do love your coop! Also think about shade. Can't wait to see yours when its done. It's beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom