The Gen Z Thread

Anticholinergic = blocking acetylcholine. Modern antihistamines that are used for actually relieving allergies don't enter the brain as much as their older counterparts (DPH etc.) and hence have less anticholinergic activity. Anticholinergics have also been pursued as military incapacitating agents (BZ), and one repeatedly-reported hallucination is the smoking of a phantom cigarette. This same hallucination has also been reported by people who have taken Datura stramonium, which also works by blocking acetylcholine. It's interesting because the BZ test data suggests that the same hallucination occurs without prior knowledge that it's been reported to occur. Though I wonder if all of the individuals who reported experiencing it smoked cigarettes.
I quit.

There are also some antidepressants with anticholinergic activity, and I'm aware of a case where an implantable collamer lens (like a contact lenses but implanted, for vision correction) became dislocated in an individual taking anticholinergic antidepressants, presumably due to the resultant pupillary dilation. Half of the lens made its way through the iris, and then the iris ended up stretching around the lens. Imagine that! It must have felt pretty unpleasant.

Found the image.
unnamed (2).jpg

Anticholinergic = blocking acetylcholine. Modern antihistamines that are used for actually relieving allergies don't enter the brain as much as their older counterparts (DPH etc.) and hence have less anticholinergic activity. Anticholinergics have also been pursued as military incapacitating agents (BZ), and one repeatedly-reported hallucination is the smoking of a phantom cigarette. This same hallucination has also been reported by people who have taken Datura stramonium, which also works by blocking acetylcholine. It's interesting because the BZ test data suggests that the same hallucination occurs without prior knowledge that it's been reported to occur. Though I wonder if all of the individuals who reported experiencing it smoked cigarettes.
I don't understand that and I have a science brain...

There are also some antidepressants with anticholinergic activity, and I'm aware of a case where an implantable collamer lens (like a contact lenses but implanted, for vision correction) became dislocated in an individual taking anticholinergic antidepressants, presumably due to the resultant pupillary dilation. Half of the lens made its way through the iris, and then the iris ended up stretching around the lens. Imagine that! It must have felt pretty unpleasant.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5750324/ ??

Back
Top Bottom