The Girls' Coop is FINISHED!

love the scenery too! Love to see more of it! Great coop by the way and what a handsome young fella. :) He must share his mom's interests as well - by the look on his face. :)

Thank you! That's my oldest son, and he absolutely adores these birds. This is the first time he's ever been around chickens, so he's learning right along with me. I'd never raised a flock of my own before. He certainly shares my love of animals! This valley is one of the scenic drives through my area and for good reason...I love sitting on my back deck in the mornings with my coffee while I'm waiting for the birds to wake up and be ready to head out for the day. Nothing prettier than the fog rising up from the valley and circling the mountains. :)

ahhhh sounds lovely! I lived in TN for a bit, and can picture your description completely. Next time we'll need a photo though. lol.

I need to do that metal roofing on my shed....

edited to add:
would be soooo nice to have a real enthusiast to share here! Although I have had SOME help and some interest....no one quite gets it. lol Oh well. My neighbor did say that she asked her hubby if she could have chickens - so I suppose there is still hope!

Last edited:
That sounds awesome, we live in the city so my son is one of luckier ones to have chickens dogs cats and a hamster. He sits in the run for what seems like forever and is constantly collecting worms for the girls until we get our tractor so they can forage while being safe.

tdgill, here you go:

(Winter time, here)

(This is the Valley looking to the left of our deck/drive - notice how close the compost pile is to the coop for ease of cleaning!)

(This shot looks up towards the road and the ridge on the other side of it, we're seriously down in a valley here)

Last edited:
Okay, I realized the other day I didn't take pictures of the finished poop board/separation and introduction areas when I finished the doors. I was prompted to do the work very quickly when I went out to let them out to pasture, and one of my Aussie pullets had somehow managed to get herself down beside the poop board and into one of the fenced-off areas. She was distraught, a couple of others were distraught, and I had to set to work pretty quickly to get her out of there. The entire time, the other two were fussing at me, seeming as if to say, "hurry up! Get our sister out of there!"
big_smile.png

So after a trip to the hardware store for more hinges and a couple of hook/eye latches, it's finished:

(Notice the ones up top wondering what on Earth I'm doing during their afternoon nap)

(One of my Aussie roos and a pullet beside him, while one of my Buff Orp pullets dust-bathes in the PDZ. The other Aussie and Black Giant up top were pecking around for grit)

(As you can see, it's their afternoon nap/cool down time, and I am totally disturbing them)

(I think this is one of my EE roos - don't really know what to call his coloring, but he's so much prettier in person!)

(One of the EE that my husband swears is the prettiest chicken he's ever seen, along with two Aussie pullets having an afternoon snack)

(This is Duke, my Buff Orp roo - he's a total sweetheart, and HAS to be at my feet no matter what I'm doing.)

(Another picture of Duke, out in the pasture wondering what Mom is doing. He's so pretty!)

Very nice set-up! I love it. We considered getting a pre-built shed and converting it, but I just knew we could make one just as nice for less money. I was wrong. I wish we would have gone the way you did. Ours turned out great, but it was more work and cost more than I anticipated. Good luck with your girls, and boys. Sounds like you are an all-around great Mom.

Back
Top Bottom