The Girls first day outside!

Flowerfamily

Chirping
Mar 23, 2022
Hope everyone had a lovely weekend!

Our girls reached 19 days old, and our run was finally secured so we took a moment to let the girls venture in their soon-to-be home! They had SUCH a blast on this gorgeous 85 degree day. I have 3 barred rocks, 3 easter eggers, and 2 australorps. I still can't tell them apart yet lol but they're very cute. As a first time chicken owner, I am honestly just proud that we've made it this far. All the girls are alive, active, friendly, and from what I can tell, healthy. Have had no issues with feather picking, or pasty butt, or fighting/pecking each other. Seems to be just 8 happy birdies.

Couple of questions for you experienced folk. Last evening before doing our daily changeover of the brooder, I noticed a very small reddish bug crawling around. It stuck out like a sore thumb on the dark colored brooder. I did not see any others. But I asked myself, Could this be a mite? A louse? A tiny spider? Something else? I did not have my phone with me so I was unable to record it. By the time I came back, it had disappeared. It was near microscopic but I could see it when I got close to make out tiny legs and a body. It moved VERY fast. I have not seen any on myself or the girls. I tried googling what mites look like and I did not find anything that looked like what I saw. What do you think it is? Should I worry?

I think my flaw is that I have not introduced a dust bath yet. I guess I was thinking they didn't need this in the brooder, but maybe I should start now? How young do you start the dust bath, and what are your favorite ingredients to use? Does your dust bath for chicks and pullets differ from the dust bath you have for your adult hens? I'm all ears!

Thanks all!

1654005818340.jpeg

Hello. What cute chickies you have, it so cute seeing them outside out side for the first time. do you clean their brooder often? If You brood outside then I should be fine to make a dust bath but inside will be very messy.

Mites have eight legs like spiders. But with mites, you wouldn't see just one. They like to run in packs.

Chicks can dirt bathe as young as a week. They love it, and you won't see anything as cute as a little chick churning their legs like tiny turbines to shoot the dirt into their most private places.

I've used plain sand or peat moss for chick dirt baths. Heck, chicks will dirt bathe in a dish of dry oatmeal or even their own feed.

Hello. What cute chickies you have, it so cute seeing them outside out side for the first time. do you clean their brooder often? If You brood outside then I should be fine to make a dust bath but inside will be very messy.

Thank you! I do clean it often, yes. Every day we change everything over and start with fresh water and food. The water is hanging with nipple waterers so it doesn't get very dirty. True I did not think how messy it would be. Good point.

Mites have eight legs like spiders. But with mites, you wouldn't see just one. They like to run in packs.

Chicks can dirt bathe as young as a week. They love it, and you won't see anything as cute as a little chick churning their legs like tiny turbines to shoot the dirt into their most private places.

I've used plain sand or peat moss for chick dirt baths. Heck, chicks will dirt bathe in a dish of dry oatmeal or even their own feed.

Okay, I am wondering if maybe what I saw was just a random bug, let's hope! It was definitely all by its lonesome, none others in sight.

I'm thinking sand too. It seems simple and at least easy to find.

For dirt baths I bought a couple of these and fill them with dirt from my property. I provide these from day 1 and the immediate exposure to the bacteria in the dirt helps to build up their immunity. The chicks absolutely love to play in the dirt and it's like a little playground for them.
Screenshot_20220531-104857.png

Back
Top Bottom