The girls hated the oatmeal so what other foods for cold days?

My chickens LOVE LOVE LOVE tomatoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But that's weird. My chickens love oatmeal. But chickens are different. Has anybody tried popcorn with their own chickens?
pop.gif

I should also mention when I first started feeding BOSS (dry) the girls looked at me like 'where are the treats?'

Mine looked at the BOSS in my hand and the more brave girls came close, then backed off, then came close, then backed off then came close and pecked one out. Then it was a rampage, they dove back in for more and the other girls, being chickens, decided there must be something they were missing and came in. Same result. My girls LOVE!!!!!!! BOSS.

I'll have to try the sprouted BOSS. I bet they would like that too.

Bruce

Most broths out there seem to have about 800 mg or 1/5 teaspoon per cup of broth... Many Soups seem to have 650mg per 1/2 cup or nearly 2/5 teaspoon per cup. I suppose homemade broths might have less salt... but I know that I always have to add salt to my stocks and broths in what seems like outrageous quantities of salt... like 1/2 cup salt to 16 quarts or a little over 1/5 teaspoon per cup.
Yeah, most human foods are overly salty (from the health POV). Even things you wouldn't think are salty like cottage cheese (430 mg per 1/2 cup 15 mg of which is naturally occurring in the milk. That isn't even half a snack!)

If you have high blood pressure, I think the daily "allowance" is 1500 mg. That means if you ate nothing but 2 cups of broth a day, you'ld be over the limit. Make your own or buy the low sodium kind.

Bruce

My chickens LOVE LOVE LOVE tomatoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But that's weird. My chickens love oatmeal. But chickens are different. Has anybody tried popcorn with their own chickens?
pop.gif
Yes, every night this past week I've had popcorn and the next morning they get what's left in the skillet (I love the old fashioned way) and it hasn't been salted. They love it too, but it's usually with some other things. Even put popcorn in the 1/2 personal size watermelon rinds. Watermelon is their favorite next to cheese. I end up with paper thin rind bowls. Funny to see.

I hadn't thought of the salt, however I dont add salt to my soups.

Thank you for the heads up about that tho, I am sure there are other treats/leftovers I thought to give the girls that maybe I should think twice on.

I will defo be more cautious.

Back
Top Bottom