The Grand Experiment

I measure how much they can eat in 45 minutes on Sunday Morning. Then I feed them that amount every day, morning and evening. About 4 or 5 weeks in, I'll give them a non-gmo cracked corn or wheat for a lunch time snack. My last set of birds were leaner than I like, so I'd like to add a little extra fat to these.

I get the supply piping and regulator part.
I like the little trays too.
Does trigger pin go up and down like a Vertical Nipple?
How does it seal, like a VN or an HN....or something different?
Do they leak?
How does it attach to pipe?
Actually wants to hold one in my hand, then take it apart to see how it all works :D

Commercial poultry drinkers don't use a standard PVC pipe. The pipe is manufactured to accept the nipple. This is usually a twist lock design that can vary from one brand to another. The seal to the pipe is an o-ring. The seal inside the nipple is a weighted elastomer disc. Gravity and water pressure seal the water off, to a point. This is why line pressure systems require a regulator, and purely gravity fed systems don't. If there is a commercial poultry presence in your area, all these components are available at your local poultry supply. This is all second nature to people in my area, but may be totally foreign to others. Val and Ziggity are two major players, if you want to look at their stuff. The main difference in a commercial nipple and the hobby type most people here would know, is the way it connects to the pipe. Those readily available at TSC for example, will have some means of mounting to a standard pipe, bucket, etc. Attached is a document that might be of interest.

Attachments

• Poultry-Watering-Systems.pdf
    591.4 KB · Views: 3
Commercial poultry drinkers don't use a standard PVC pipe. The pipe is manufactured to accept the nipple. This is usually a twist lock design that can vary from one brand to another. The seal to the pipe is an o-ring. The seal inside the nipple is a weighted elastomer disc. Gravity and water pressure seal the water off, to a point. This is why line pressure systems require a regulator, and purely gravity fed systems don't. If there is a commercial poultry presence in your area, all these components are available at your local poultry supply. This is all second nature to people in my area, but may be totally foreign to others. Val and Ziggity are two major players, if you want to look at their stuff. The main difference in a commercial nipple and the hobby type most people here would know, is the way it connects to the pipe. Those readily available at TSC for example, will have some means of mounting to a standard pipe, bucket, etc. Attached is a document that might be of interest.
Love the cross sections there, exactly what I wanted to see!
Didn't think of the pressure helping keep the seal, makes sense.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom