The Grand Experiment

Ok, the results are in and embarrassing. To say I failed miserably is an understatement. I don't know if it was the wacky weather, the feed, the grass or the birds. Throughout this experiment the Ross708s consumed roughly a gallon more water per day than the Cobb500s. The Ross appeared to be more heat tolerant than the Cobb, but less cold tolerant. They did not forage nearly as well as my prior experiments, leaving grass mostly intact.

Loss rate was higher than I've ever experienced at 33% for Ross and 43% for Cobb. Up until the last week I found feed residue in the trough when it was time to feed. The last week they emptied the trough completely. Feed Conversion Rate was horrible at 5.9 for the Ross and 7.9 for the Cobb. Starting on 11/24/2018, I added two scoops of Organic 6 grain scratch to their daily diet. And based upon their size extended them on pasture for 17 additional days. The extra time did not noticeably make the meat any tougher and the flavor was on par with my other meat birds (fantastic).

Boiling it down to cost, Ross came in at $2.22/pound and the Cobb at $3.00/pound. In terms of bird size, Ross came in on average at 3 pounds 7 ounces and Cobb averaged out to 2 pounds 8 ounces. Even with horrible results the Ross out performed the Cobb in my environment and under my husbandry techniques. In my first year, I ran 3 different batches in spring, summer and fall. Started with 150 birds and put 140 in the freezer for a total weight of over 850 pounds of meat and 90+ quarts of stock, I didn't get weights on the livers, gizzards, hearts and feet. This year, I started smaller with 80 birds put 50 in the freezer for a total weight of 160 pounds 2 ounces.

I've attached my project notes for your amusement.

Attachments

• Bird_Experiment.pdf
    117.3 KB · Views: 8
I wouldn't say that you failed at all ... you may not have reached your expectations, but you finished the course! :)

You also kept good records, and posted your final results here, so many people start a thread, and ... never post back the results ... drives me crazy ... or, maybe just crazier! ;)

Thank you!

Seconding the thanks for the excellent records and keeping us in the loop. I've always bought Cobbs, and am now thinking the Ross might be a better variety.

Winding up with a freezer full of tasty, home-grown birds is never a failure. Like you, however, I guess I am bit surprised that they didn't dress out larger. What hatchery did you use? Some have come up with slow-growing strains.

The reason I went to Welp is I could specify strain and get them at the same time. McMurray, who I've used in the past couldn't get both strains at the same time. They're also a bit more challenging to work with as you have to find the right person to order a specific strain. Who do you use for yours?

Oh, and before I forget, the temps recorded in my notes were from a local weather station 12 miles away. I couldn't find any authoritative source closer to me. That said, my accurite weather station often showed the temps 10* warmer than reported high and 5* cooler than the lows. We had days where when I woke up (about 4:30 AM) temps were in the 20s and at the high over 100. The barn (where the brooder is) is not heated or cooled. So all they had on the cold nights was their sweeter heater. Most of my Ross losses in the brooder were from pile ups. The BBW turkeys (from Meyer) I started a month before the CX are still very small as well. So I don't know how much of this to attribute to weather.

Back
Top Bottom