The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

Pics
Completely ignorant here, looking for an education. What are the rules about what can and cannot be shipped across the border? What are the rules about what can and cannot be carried across the border? I have never been across the border (any border) but, other than drugs, I would not know what to expect. Anyone know the rules? If you can carry them across, couldn't we then hand them off to be mailed on the other side or would that be illegal, too?

Don't bring chocolate Kinder eggs from Canada to the US.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/0...ring-kinder-surprise-eggs-are-illegal-in-u-s/

Got my eggs today from Tenn. They were mailed out Monday and got them this morning so 4 days.Great packing,11 eggs wraped in foam with breed on the tape holding it togather,a heat pack in the bottom of the box,tons of packing peanuts.I have never had a heat pack before are they reusable and how are they activated?The eggs will sit for awhile then go under the broody silkies.

yuckyuck.gif
Tom's (post-before-last! Opps!)

Last edited:

Got my eggs today from Tenn. They were mailed out Monday and got them this morning so 4 days.Great packing,11 eggs wraped in foam with breed on the tape holding it togather,a heat pack in the bottom of the box,tons of packing peanuts.I have never had a heat pack before are they reusable and how are they activated?The eggs will sit for awhile then go under the broody silkies.
Wonderful Henny! I dont know about the heatpacks. The eggs I met you and picked up are doing great! 10/12 are developing. What colors did you get from TN?

some time heat packs start the incubation process. make sure you candle ASAP

Completely ignorant here, looking for an education. What are the rules about what can and cannot be shipped across the border? What are the rules about what can and cannot be carried across the border? I have never been across the border (any border) but, other than drugs, I would not know what to expect. Anyone know the rules? If you can carry them across, couldn't we then hand them off to be mailed on the other side or would that be illegal, too?
Canada is a Poultry friendly Country and McMurray ships there weekly.

Eggs are easier to ship too. It involves paper work mostly for eggs. Chickens need to have a vet check and a certificate. If your place is NPIP certified then you are mostly there.

This was in the news yesterday. This is why security is strict about foreign imports. http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/27/health/mexico-bird-flu/?hpt=he_c2
Eggs are different. There are not that many illnesses that are spread to the flock from hatching eggs. Bird Flu does not pass from the eggs. That is one reason why I like to hatch my own. Of course I can get some great rare breeds that way too. Crele Penedesencas hatched on Saturday. Tomorrow I have Bresse hatching. I have 13 of 14 in lockdown. Every one of them Developed! the 14th was broken in shipment. They look very good with great aircells--like they were never shipped. They were shipped by ground about 60 miles and never flew in a plane. If most of them hatch, this will be the fourth shipped egg hatch in a row with over 90% hatch rate

Mexico is not an import friendly country for Poultry. Being close to Mexico is one of the reasons we get free Necropsy in California for Small Flock owners though.

Back
Top Bottom