The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

Pics
I do so love Olive eggers. Next year I will hatch some eggs, this year I will take the oportunity to learn from experience raising chicks. Baby steps... baby steps..

You best keep me in mind, Wisher
wink.png
I will be first in line next year.

OK, where's the pushy emoticon?

So, I candled tonight. And locked down. I also want to preface this by saying that I am clumsy.

When I locked down last week I tried to squeeze a wisher egg into a spot, and hairline cracked it in one small spot. I was hoping it wasn't damaged beyond repair, but the egg did not continue to develop. I pulled it tonight. And I always eggtopsy... and this one is absolutely, totally, unequivocally my fault. Poor little bugger, it died from my stupidity.

Next, I am happy to report that the other 10 eggs are doing marvelous. If we consider only what I incubated correctly (which was 12 eggs), having development in 11 of them is AMAZING. Amazing considering their slow and frigid journey... and most of that is due to an amazing pack job. Thanks, Wisher. I can't wait to meet these little guys.

I have pictures of the candling but gmail is being a jerk. It's times like these that I miss the lightening speed with which I could upload to facebook and then put on BYC.

That would have been an EE from my roo and a nice all white hen, either Angel or Snowflake.

When Angel was a chick, she would stand up tall and flap her wings, then she would stretch them out and up and run across the brooder holding them above her back. Snowflake is named after Sandra Bullock in The Blindside, remember the thug in Hurt Village saying, "Heeyyy Snowflake"? LOVE that movie.

I spent a week in Selma at the old military base, is it still there? We ate at a restaurant up the road nearly every night. I don't remember the name but it may have been an Italian place, nothing much else to do there.....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom