The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

Pics
Quote:
Dwayne Urch. Hurry though he is retiring.

Get the new Genesis from GQF. The package is just under $200.00 with no tax and free shipping. They even throw in Bob White Quail!

If the hatching bug is still biting you next year or so, get a Brinsea then--or if you win the lottery! I got mine because of a one time vacation buy down....

Last edited:
Congrats on the development so far wisher! I will get pics of my little chicks from you today and post them. Should all the BCM's have fuzzy legs? One of mine didn't . Could it be a cross? It is no matter to me although I love pure breeds my crosses are by far the best layers. Has anyone else had this experience with crosses?

Dwayne Urch. Hurry though he is retiring.

Get the new Genesis from GQF. The package is just under $200.00 with no tax and free shipping. They even throw in Bob White Quail!

If the hatching bug is still biting you next year or so, get a Brinsea then--or if you win the lottery! I got mine because of a one time vacation buy down....
Talked to Mr. Urch yesterday and he said he is short on eggs. Also GQF is currently out of stock. I am tempted to try the Hovabator, but then I usually regret not going 1st class :)

Dan

SCG - Guess what I had on my biscuits this morning..........

Hopefully it arrived safe. I certainly did not use the Wisher Method for packing. They'd been sitting on my counter and finally one night the stars aligned that I had remembered to pick up a box from work, and had another package to get together. I pretty much threw them in the box and hoped for the best.

I take the bottom, gray and wire to the shower and clean it. The top I wipe out with a wash cloth and air dust the sensor and fan.

Is there a trick to cleaning the Brinsea top? I will need to do that sometime. It does not get very dirty since I do not hatch in it.

I tried to take the bottom off the top with the screws and stripped the screws. I have no idea how to clean in there. I've sprayed air in it a few times but it's filthy.

I like my Brinsea. The Eco 20 is $150 on sale right now. Shipping is expensive, but some of that cost you can eliminate by using a coupon code. I think they might put codes on their FB page, or just google Brinsea coupon code and you'll find something that works.

I would like to have the two incubator system like Ron, so I didn't have to hatch in the Brinsea. It gets pretty crowded in there, and as SCG said, the top is hard to clean. I've never cleaned mine yet because I haven't hatched very many times, but you have to take out the screws to get in there.

Congrats on the development so far wisher! I will get pics of my little chicks from you today and post them. Should all the BCM's have fuzzy legs? One of mine didn't . Could it be a cross? It is no matter to me although I love pure breeds my crosses are by far the best layers. Has anyone else had this experience with crosses?
Jess - There are clean legged Marans and feather legged Marans. I think my girls may be crosses of those. I have both. Should not matter, the eggs should all be good.....

Quote:
Clean legs happen all the time with FBCM chickens. The English standard is for clean legs. If you were trying to get them for show, you would work with the ones with feathers. If you are working on egg color it does not matter much. Wisher has chickens that lay some very dark eggs.

Jess - There are clean legged Marans and feather legged Marans. I think my girls may be crosses of those. I have both. Should not matter, the eggs should all be good.....
I have been wanting marans for years and just have never gotten any. I was just curious is all. On a lighter note Have you Gotten a picture tutorial set up yet on the packing and shipping method Like they do for incubators on here? It would be good to post on the egg swap pages and hatch alongs.... I think allot of people would find it very beneficial in shipping swapped and traded eggs. I am convinced that your way led me to attain more than twice the hatch rate I ever had with shipped eggs!
hugs.gif
Thank You Again!!!!!

Clean legs happen all the time with FBCM chickens. The English standard is for clean legs. If you were trying to get them for show, you would work with the ones with feathers. If you are working on egg color it does not matter much. Wisher has chickens that lay some very dark eggs.

I am a chicken lover who just raises them for fun and entertainment.... I do not sell eggs (give them away to family and friends) or show the birds (as they are mostly mutts). The chicks I received from her were from some of the darkest eggs I have ever seen so I am extremely excited about it.

Quote:
There is another thread on her lamenting the terrible hatches they are getting. The Post Office is being blamed and the thought is lowered service from budget cuts.

This thread shows that working with the seller and the customer helps a bunch! Also, Learn from research and experimenting with packaging techniques. It is really great to see a package shipped and then see the package opened up, the eggs set for incubation and then hatched!

Please do set up a Guide for the packing and shipping process Wisher!

Back
Top Bottom