The great escape

Nlchicken

Chirping
Sep 4, 2018
Newfoundland
Today while spring cleaning the coop one of our turkey hens somehow managed to get out of the run without me noticing. I went outside about an hour after to bring in some firewood and heard a hen chirp in the distance. I went straight to the run and saw her tracks in the snow heading into the bushes. We live in the country surrounded by woods and ponds. I followed her tracks through the bushes into the woods and to one of the ponds where I lost the tracks as there is no snow on the ice. I walked the shoreline of the pond twice but could not find any tracks. I went back to where I lost her tracks and worked my way back to the run with no sign of her. I put the chickens in the coop and left another hen and our tom in the run hoping they would call her back. Then my wife and I walked the pond and through the woods on the far side with no sign of her. We were searching for about two hours bushwacking most of the search with no luck. We gave up and headed home. Not long after we got back we heard a peep and went to check the run and there she was on the far side trying to figure out how to get back in. My wife opened the door to the run and I walked around the far side of the coop to drive her towards the door. After two laps around the coop and run she found the door and went back inside. She is home safe after her great adventure. I have no idea where she went but we are very happy to have her back. My wife and I are both exhausted from our search but I would do it again if I had to.

Lucky Hen to not get her foolish self killed.
Now you will have to be extra careful from now on
Due to her getting a taste of freedom and all kinds
of different food items.:eek:
Yes she was lucky as we have coyotes, foxes, lynx, and mink in our area. She must have snuck out when I was taking their droppings to the manure pile. I'm going to have to pay closer attention next time. I may also add a vestibule to our entrance to the run to make it harder for her if she trys again.

Back
Top Bottom