The great yolk color debate

I've had my chickens for almost two years and the older girls, even with free ranging all day every day, never got good yolk color. I just went to the feed store and asked for layer pellets and fed what they gave me. This past summer, I did a little more research and switched them to the Nutrena Hearty Hen. It has a lot of good stuff, I think, including marigold extract and a higher percent protein. I think it's made a big difference, though I might supplement them with a little bit more protein. (I know most layer feeds are 16% but I'm finding that that is actually quite low.) Their yolks are a much richer color now and I think the birds are starting to look better in general. They all free range still but a little bit less than last year due to predators. I wouldn't consider marigold extract as cheating because I think it's more than a dye -- it's got health benefits for people, too, including being a great antioxidant.

Marigolds are a member of the Mum family of flowers and Mums and Marigolds are the source of the pesticide Pyrethrin. Natural Pyrethrin made by powdering Mums and Marigolds is an important product in Kenya and New Zeeland. Unfortunately there isn't any indication that feeding marigold extract or Pyrethrin will in any way protect your chickens from mites or lice. Marigold extract however will make ordinary egg yokes look like free range egg yokes.

Back
Top Bottom