The great yolk color debate

On my phone I have a picture of two eggs I cracked open this morning as my control. I will upload them when I am out of class as I'm not allowed to use my phone during class.
I will note that the lighting was not perfect so it does not give an exact color match of reality vs picture, however, the eggs were only slightly lighter than they appeared in the photo.

@Akrnaf2 and @MissChick@dee and @KikisGirls —— do your girls free range or range at all in addition to what you’ve mentioned, or are they confined in a run?
Mine free range if that’s what I can call it. My backyard is a third of an acre. They can come and go they tend to like their run. The natural sources of protein (bugs) they deplete quickly. I garden and I plant things just for them. That too is only seasonal.
In spring I can walk out my front door and it’s like the parting of the great seas... there are so many grasshoppers! In my backyard....nothing! So I enrich their environment by hiding treats (great for when they gat bored in winter). Mine are spoiled. Heck I’m spoiled. I’m blessed that I have time and resources to do this for my “hobby” lol

@Akrnaf2 and @MissChick@dee and @KikisGirls —— do your girls free range or range at all in addition to what you’ve mentioned, or are they confined in a run?
I have a backyard of 15x6 Meters, they can't find there all they need, so they get fermented and dry feed mixtures, vegetables every day, some nice seeds mixture and fresh water every day. And once a week they get extra poly vitamins in their Feed.
Here some of them
Sorry for the noise I was frying some chiken for lunch! :lol:

I have free ranged since I brought my first hens home (that was 5 years ago) and I can tell a huge difference in the winter when there are hardly any greens or bugs to forage for. And when they're confined in the coop when the snow sets in.

@Akrnaf2, what did you say you use for your hens to get that dark orange yolk? I am very curious and want to try it this winter, thanks! :D

I have free ranged since I brought my first hens home (that was 5 years ago) and I can tell a huge difference in the winter when there are hardly any greens or bugs to forage for. And when they're confined in the coop when the snow sets in.

@Akrnaf2, what did you say you use for your hens to get that dark orange yolk? I am very curious and want to try it this winter, thanks! :D
Paprika, very good for them, and gives wonderful color. It doesn't hurt them it is basically dry and ground chilli pepper, I put 300-400 grams in abatch of 25 kg. =1 pound in 50 pounds of feed, is a good ratio.

Control. Day 0.

Leghorn on top, Jersey Giant on bottom.
Current feed: Free Range and Nutrena Layer pellets with access to a flock block.
20181017_062842.jpg

Those Barnevelders! :love

Thinking I need to find a chicken nutrition course so I can learn more about what to tinker with... and so I can understand those incredible spreadsheets @KikisGirls is working on. :bow:eek::caf
Read the chicken related chapters of the book I posted earlier.

Back
Top Bottom