The great yolk color debate

Pics
Do you buy a certain brand for chickens?
I have never seen a brand of paprika labeled for chickens.
I use the exact same cayanne pepper I use in my human's food.
IMG_20181017_154042.jpg

My girls’ yolks are golden yellow anyone that gets them always comment on color.
My girls free range, get yogurt with oats mixed in, thawed corn, scratch few lettuce and are especially fond of Froot Loops cereal
:eek:Froot Loops.:barnie

If you want to cheat to get the orange red yolks, you can buy just about any kind of dark red dried chilis in bulk. After falling in love with the red poke berry yolks, I decided to try the chilis. I bought a 5 lbs bag of some kind of Thai chilis online. While waiting 2 weeks for them to arrive, I started feeding them Guajillo peppers. Before the Thai peppers arrived I was getting really really dark orange, nearly Red yolks but the didn't taste any different. The Thai peppers didn't make the yolks as dark as the guajillo did, but after thinking about it, it ain't worth the extra cost for peppers when they don't make the eggs taste any different. Still pretty cool looking.
Just goes to show how much what a bird eats determines the make up of the eggs.

Last edited:
My girls free range and are only confined to the coop in winter when the snow is deep and temperatures to cold. I have nice orange yolks all year but in the winter they get lighter. Two years ago my husband bought a 50 lb bag of carrots for hunting season, then got sick and did not use them. So i took 3 or 4 carrots each day to the coop and during that time i had eggs with yolks the same color as a carrot! Now i buy a bag on purpose each fall for that purpose. I feed the carrots whole and it also gives them something to do pecking it apart during the long winter day inside. If your chickens dont like it that way i suppose you could grind or shred it first.
I am sure there is lots of added nutrition in the carrots for them.

Yes seriously, I crush up the Froot Loops and mix in yogurt. Heck even Henry jumps in to the mix when otherwise he’d just be a lookout
Do you at least limit all treats to a small amount each time you feed them out?

Back
Top Bottom