The great yolk color debate

Pics
I just have to say
Adding a coloured powder like paprika to make the yolks darker seems like cheating and silly your also affecting the bottom line for no reason .

Basically they taste the same but the hens have to injest large amounts of this flavour less powder because you like them better??? Sounds superficial

Add greens or marigold flowers and there are at least some nutrients in that ......

This is my opinion ,
I’ll stick to grass, ff and sprouted grains
Thank you:)
Paprika is very rich with antioxidant.
And it is a plant so it falls in the definition of "grass". :lol:
And there is nothing natural in a bird that lay 280-340 eggs a year.

@Akrnaf2 How many eggs would be “natural”

I’m just saying adding real food like grass and marigolds is one thing but adding a red pepper powder ( paprika) is like adding food colouring which some commercial establishments have been accused of doing
24DBC8D0-AEEF-45EC-BCBE-0FF7B7FC523D.png

Last edited:
@snow5164 i see your point. In my original post I mentioned the goal of achieving a darker color to know they were getting a more varied diet. Aside from that, it is an entirely personal desire.

With a natural additive, I don’t see any harm in using them, especially when you are considering the rest of their nutritional needs. We keep chickens for purely personal reasons for all other attributes, I see no problem in desiring a darker egg yolk for personal reasons, too.

@snow5164 i see your point. In my original post I mentioned the goal of achieving a darker color to know they were getting a more varied diet.

So is adding powder giving them a more varied diet? Are they healthier ?

You’re correct you can pursue this for personal reasons , I’m saying I don’t get it at all .....that’s all :)

I’m happy to get eggs from my healthy hens

How many eggs would be “natural”

I’m just saying adding real food like grass and marigolds is one thing but adding a red pepper powder ( paprika) is like adding food colouring which some commercial establishments have been accused of doing View attachment 1565449
I was thinking the same thing. Plus, the yolk color usually tells me which of my hens is eating well, free ranging well, or just the opposite -- NOT getting enough of something.

If one of my hens has pale yolks, I know to address problems with the feed (adding another feeder, so she is not being bullied and pushed away by the lead hen) or check her health in general. I wouldn't want to mask this useful diagnostic tool for cosmetic reasons, but that's just me.

But, if people love orange yolks, I guess you do what you gotta do. I find that my hen that raids the veggie garden frequently, and eats my tomatoes (daily!!!) has the most red/orange yolks of the bunch.

@Akrnaf2 How many eggs would be “natural”

I’m just saying adding real food like grass and marigolds is one thing but adding a red pepper powder ( paprika) is like adding food colouring which some commercial establishments have been accused of doing View attachment 1565449
The Red jungle fowl one of the direct ancestor of the chicken lays
12 -20/year this number is natural.

So is adding powder giving them a more varied diet? Are they healthier ?

No. It isn’t.

I said I have no problems with people using it to get orange eggs. Great. Cool.

As I also said, I’m using it solely to see how many days it takes to see the effect of diet on the yolk. Then I’ll use that timeline as basis for how long I stick with more whole-food additives to their diet to see if they make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom