The Gun Thread

Pics
Did you use your full allowed time on timed fire or did you shoot it at rapid fire pace?
I think I averaged around 15 seconds on timed fire. I had a certain physical cadence I tried to do for timed, a different one for rapid. Since timed was the easiest, I took advantage of the time to shoot the best score I could.

My personal best Nation Match Course (1 each, slow, timed, rapid) was a 296 (out of 300) at an indoor .22 caliber match. 97 for slow (very much a personal best!), 100 timed, and 99 rapid.

I think I averaged around 15 seconds on timed fire. I had a certain physical cadence I tried to do for timed, a different one for rapid. Since timed was the easiest, I took advantage of the time to shoot the best score I could.

My personal best Nation Match Course (1 each, slow, timed, rapid) was a 296 (out of 300) at an indoor .22 caliber match. 97 for slow (very much a personal best!), 100 timed, and 99 rapid.
Nice! That was my favorite course to shoot and the least expensive. It was noticeable that the guys that shot timed at the same cadence as rapid would always struggle with slow fire. I, like you, took more time for timed fire and was at the other end of the spectrum, if I was going to drop a point it was on rapid fire. What .22 were you shooting?

I think by that time I had a Masaki Marvel conversion. That kept the grip consistent through all of my guns.
Damn girl, that is serious hardware. Over 2k just for the conversion and another 4k for the .45 to put it on. My hardware is much more modest and I relied on local smiths for tuning.

I started out with a Browning 5.5 heavy barrel then moved up to a S&W 41 with a multitude of barrels. The cut down 7 inch is what worked best for me.

Also pictured is my S&W 52 I used in 2700 matches. Honestly, the Hammerli .32 was much easier to shoot but I was kind of nostalgic and didn't want to load for it.
IMG_9271.JPG
IMG_9272.JPG
IMG_9273.JPG
IMG_9274.JPG

Damn girl, that is serious hardware. Over 2k just for the conversion and another 4k for the .45 to put it on. My hardware is much more modest and I relied on local smiths for tuning.
Wow, have prices gone up!

I paid $3K for my .45 (with scope and 3 tuned mags), $3K for my ball gun (with 3 tuned mags), and I think the Marvel was $2500. But this was... let's see... about 20 years ago.

The warrantee has expired on them. Ed Masaki said they had a lifetime warrantee... his lifetime. He passed away in 2022, I believe.

I'm pretty sure I could sell them for a profit. But, no, not for sale.

When I first got my .45, it needed an adjustment. I shipped it back to Ed (he lived in HI), and he did some Maui-wowee voodoo on it. He paid return shipping and included an extra mag when he sent it back, to help defray my cost of shipping it to him.

Someone I know who works on his own guns made the pronouncement that "The chamber is too tight. I'll ream it out for you." Uh, no. Hard, absolute NO.

Wow, have prices gone up!

I paid $3K for my .45 (with scope and 3 tuned mags), $3K for my ball gun (with 3 tuned mags), and I think the Marvel was $2500. But this was... let's see... about 20 years ago.

The warrantee has expired on them. Ed Masaki said they had a lifetime warrantee... his lifetime. He passed away in 2022, I believe.

I'm pretty sure I could sell them for a profit. But, no, not for sale.

When I first got my .45, it needed an adjustment. I shipped it back to Ed (he lived in HI), and he did some Maui-wowee voodoo on it. He paid return shipping and included an extra mag when he sent it back, to help defray my cost of shipping it to him.

Someone I know who works on his own guns made the pronouncement that "The chamber is too tight. I'll ream it out for you." Uh, no. Hard, absolute NO.
I found a complete kit, no dot, with .22 conversion for $4400. https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...-with--22-conversion-kit.cfm?gun_id=102278263

Yes, that is Ed in the pictures! What a wonderful man he was!

Even though I haven't shot a match in over a decade, and we had a few years when money was TIGHT, I told my hubby, no way am I selling my Masaki guns (or any guns). I would never be able to buy them back, and we can find another way to save money.

We did. :)

Yes, that is Ed in the pictures! What a wonderful man he was!

Even though I haven't shot a match in over a decade, and we had a few years when money was TIGHT, I told my hubby, no way am I selling my Masaki guns (or any guns). I would never be able to buy them back, and we can find another way to save money.

We did. :)
I sold the range 15 years ago and moved out to the middle of nowhere and haven't shot any competition since. Now with glaucoma I'm not sure if I could even place a respectable score. I have started letting a few guns go, not selling but giving them to the kids, even that damn liberal son and his wife. I gotta make sure all of them have the five basic groups in case SHTF. Can you imagine growing up spending your summer vacations at a range with unlimited ammo and the selection of any gun you wanted to shoot?

Back
Top Bottom