the "happy chicken song"

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by kefiren, Jan 9, 2012.

1. kefiren

kefiren Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been going out every couple of hours to check for eggs. I love getting outside in winter.

Well, it was a mild January morning and my chickens were singing. Several different breeds and ages were belting out the "happy chicken song" together.

You know the rythmic "buck-buck-buck-buck BUCKOK! buck buck buck buck buck buck BUCKOK!", Each chicken had her own pace and tone and it all fit together, well, like Bach.

I glanced around and realized that even roosters sing the happy chicken song! I didn't know that!

And then I began to sing it too.

There were surprised faces all around.

Renee

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

[​IMG] I've done that too!

3. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

did you lay an egg? [​IMG]

4. michelle89

michelle89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    I just got the biggest smile on my face, I do that too! I'm sure my neighbors think I'm nuts! [​IMG]

5. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Me to! But i think my neighbors think I'm off my rocker when I call my girls in a shrill cackle " where's my girl's" oh where's my girl's ! They come running and it's so cute, but I'm thinking my neighbors think I'm nuts big time lol

6. akcharlie1960

akcharlie1960 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Chugiak, Alaska
    I think only chickeneers get it. My GF and our house chicken actually communicate a little with both chicken sounds and human words. Really, really.[​IMG]

7. Desirai

Desirai Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    Do any of you have a video of your chickens singing the happy chicken song?? I hear everyone talk about their chickens singing it but I've never seen/heard it and youtube isn't any help cause I don't know what I'm looking for

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by