The Hatch That BYC Built (aka Frieda vs. the Brinsea!) (Warning--pic heavy)

This is exiting!! I've been lurking around countless incubator vs broody threads and how to build an incubator as I really wanna hatch chicks in the spring! I hope you have a good hatch....

Someone was in a hurry!

Bubbles, you gotta build a bator.  Great winter project!  Amy, congrats on the hatch!  Hope you continue your thread re: integration of bator chicks with broody chicks.

I'm actually not worried about that bit--when Frieda and the chicks she hatches are moved to the pen, she'll suddenly have more ;) Any that hatch later will be moved in under cover of darkness. Frieda's adopted chicks before--granted, she got them all at once...

Chick #1 is now all the way out of the shell! I think I scared it into getting out when I slid the tray open to add water to my sponges, since the humidity dropped to about 60%. In the escape from the scariness, the chick got between the inside end of the drawer and the side of the 'bator. Since I had to take the drawer out to rescue the chick (otherwise, closing the 'bator would crush the chick, I pulled the shell out and checked the others for pips. No pips yet.

I think that's poo in the shell...

Chick #1 is now all the way out of the shell! I think I scared it into getting out when I slid the tray open to add water to my sponges, since the humidity dropped to about 60%. In the escape from the scariness, the chick got between the inside end of the drawer and the side of the 'bator. Since I had to take the drawer out to rescue the chick (otherwise, closing the 'bator would crush the chick, I pulled the shell out and checked the others for pips. No pips yet.

I think that's poo in the shell...
It looks like stuff the comes off of the naval in the chick. They usually do not poo for a while after they hatch.

What about the broody hatch?

Back
Top Bottom