The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

This is Ella, or possibly Jay... we paid for a pullet but the Breeders wife didn't know what she was doing and accidentally sold us a "Don" something Rhode Island Red, when we spoke to him later he told us he doesn't sell those ones , LOL . It's personality is very rooster like, just turned 6 weeks and wondered what you all thought, boy or girl?

This is Ella, or possibly Jay... we paid for a pullet but the Breeders wife didn't know what she was doing and accidentally sold us a "Don" something Rhode Island Red, when we spoke to him later he told us he doesn't sell those ones , LOL . It's personality is very rooster like, just turned 6 weeks and wondered what you all thought, boy or girl?
I think you're correct. I think a male too. Usually the females get their tail feathers before the males do.

She probably meant he is from the Don Nelson line....here is a little info on the line if you want to read up on it: http://jimspetsandpoultry.weebly.com/don-nelson-rhode-island-reds.html

Anybody ever seen this wing defect before? Not sure exactly what it is. Its almost like the end of the wing is "loose" and will not fold right. Regardless he will be culled just curious if anyone knows what it is. Its a shame too because i really liked this cockerels potential until i saw this.

It is referred to as a loose wing and also a scissor wing. It is a defect and is not desirable. It can be bred out but can be difficult. Unfortunately it is fairly common in show lines of Reds.

Matt

It is referred to as a loose wing and also a scissor wing. It is a defect and is not desirable. It can be bred out but can be difficult. Unfortunately it is fairly common in show lines of Reds.

Matt

Ok. Thanks matt. I assumed something of that nature. Probably easier to just cull for rather than attempt to breed it out

Ok. Thanks matt. I assumed something of that nature. Probably easier to just cull for rather than attempt to breed it out

If this bird was produced in the same group as your other birds than culling this one does not necessarily mean that you are getting rid of it. That gene is in that line of birds and depending on matings could show up even if neither parent exhibit that trait. It is definitely something you want to breed away from but will likely always linger in the gene pool.

This is why breeding high quality birds consistently is so difficult and also why it is very difficult to maintain quality birds if you don't have the space and finances to hatch a decent amount of birds each year. I see people all the time that want to have quality birds but don't have the pens to raise a significant amount nor the resources to feed them the proper feed. You don't have to raise 100 every year but 15-20 is likely not enough to consistently produce quality birds.

Matt

Moving birds around so I can set up my bachelor pens. Also will be banding everyone too. This way I can keep track of what family and hatch they are from.

Is anyone going to be at the NJ State Fair? Just curious as I know most people who post here are far from NJ but just wondering if there were some lurkers that are planning on going or exhibiting. I will be there hopefully exhibiting.

Back
Top Bottom