The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Was planning on doing some more sorting early this morning but since I heard the coyote pack not too far away just a couple hours ago, and the cock has just calmed back down after the eagle made its morning pass over, I think I will wait until mid morning for that chore or letting them out to free range the yard and field.. The smaller holding pen isn't as secure as main coop and once they discover an easy catch they will return and target my better specimens.

Haven't gotten my vehicle back yet to take any to Mennonite to cull and the injuries inflicted when I culled my last ones hasn't healed enough yet. Still infected and knuckle I sliced the half the skin covering into a flap doesn't bend yet. I'm getting impatient though to cull the older hens I won't be breeding or keeping for winter eggs and a couple cockerel juveniles with poor crowns.

Working on a second more secure holding/breeding mini coop I will so I won't have that dilemma next year and can house a backup cockerel to grow out if needed. Will have to make my choices within 4-6 weeks of which of my 8-10 to sell or eat or if I want to keep one for back up.

If one of my promising cockerels grows out decent I have a potential order for a trio.

Matt I understand what you are saying on the count on the ground and finances. But I partnered with Fred who has a few more partners to get the numbers. Some housed here, some there etc. Will be better to keep the breed going and choose the best we get to breed than NOT to help at all. I may not be "big" like you yet.... but aspirations and dreams can sometimes change a life. As long as one does not give up. If one is serious and dedicated even smaller CAN get there and help with encouragement from masters like you. As long as I can find a way I WILL. :D

I keep just enough imperfect hens as layers to sell eggs to supplement pullets feed cost And eat well from what doesn't make the grade. So far this has worked for me buying non GMO Amish feed with occasional organic produce/fruit/seed and open cage free ranging on my chemical free land.

I'll say this: weather you produce 100 or 30 each year heavy culling is a necessity. I agree the more you can put on the ground (from your best) and the heavier you cull the better your chances of producing quality.

But manage even a smaller flock with the quality feed and careful selectivity though it WILL take longer, keep going.

I've had so many telling me "You can't do that" but that just spurs me to prove I CAN. Might be harder for me to accomplish than others but I WILL FIND A WAY! :D

Good morning. I would really appreciate your opinions on the only four pullets that I got out of my thirteen chicks. Hatch 3/25/16
Since I was in a hurry and they kept running off, I know I got them all, but I may have gotten singles that are duplicates.

Thanks! BTW the second and third from the end are different birds I just cropped them from one photo.

Last edited:
I'll say this: weather you produce 100 or 30 each year heavy culling is a necessity. I agree the more you can put on the ground (from your best) and the heavier you cull the better your chances of producing quality.

But manage even a smaller flock with the quality feed and careful selectivity though it WILL take longer, keep going.

I've had so many telling me "You can't do that" but that just spurs me to prove I CAN. Might be harder for me to accomplish than others but I WILL FIND A WAY!
big_smile.png
I agree. I usually hatch anywhere between 200 and 300 chicks each year. I do have a couple of other breeds but most are RIR's. I have one male I got from Matt a couple of years ago. He's a nice male (Wallace) but not the best. (I have better males) but he did make really nice chicks. Many of the chicks turned out better than some of the chicks from my nicer males. My point, even if you breed the best with the best you still will have to cull and sometimes others less desirable males will produce nice chicks too.

Back
Top Bottom